Gibson Brands Forums

OT Needed For Beloved GA-6 Amp

zozoe

Greetings~ Upon bringing my amp to my guy to see why my prized '55 GA6 sounded anemic, I was dismayed to find out that the amp was getting power from only 1 of the 2 6V6's.  He's a great tech, and it's akin to bringing a Harley to a lawnmower repairman, but the upside is that I bring him lawnmowers, & I invariably walk away with a Harley...

His age olde intuition led him to check first for a measurement across pins 3 of the 6V6's, & it was a big fat nothing. The power iron & power section are fine & the amp powers on & plays,,,, but.....😪😪

So, according to him, I need a new output tranny; he said something about one with an 8K ohm center tap feeding the 8ohm speaker... As we're all aware, there were a handful of different GA6's, but this one's the peach,, much like my GA20 + 20T,,, & I'd like to know what & where to get the properly rated one, and what the up or downsize would be of getting something that's 'close' & not exactly 8K? 

Here's the vital pics, & thnx in advance!!

Kenny 🕉 Screenshot_20220615-221401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d392fe99dd00e5f7970e1dcbb82eae1e.jpgScreenshot_20210624-222807_Gallery.thumb.jpg.17b8f6dd37c9a02e23bed60ad9d08975.jpg🎸

You will need an output transformer that's rated at 15watts.  You need one with an 8 Kohm primary and 8 ohm secondary, like your tech said.  That's the same as one for a Fender Princeton Reverb, and Tweed Deluxe.  Like the Hammond model P-T1750E, shown here -

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/transformer-hammond-output-replacement-fender

I'm not sure if the mounting holes will be the right spacing.  There's already an extra hole in the speaker frame, so at the worst, you'll have to drill one more hole in the frame.  drill it with masking tape on the backside of the frame to catch the metal shavings so they don't get into the speaker cone.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Right you are, Badblues player...

"

Great,, After much procrastination, I finally got a hold of AES where we figured I need either the T1750E or the EP, for paper. Very close in price, 1/2 that of a Mecury Magnetics, & I'm just not sure if there's ANY PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE between the E & the EP, or if it's simply the material, which no one will ever see. Again, it's for my Gibson GA6, which I assume is push-pull, & as per my tech, in need an 8kohm center tap to feed my 8ohm Jensen..."

Thnx 🎵 🕉 

Screenshot_20220624-130801_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220624-130714_Google.jpg

1 hour ago, zozoe said:

Right you are, Badblues player...

"

Great,, After much procrastination, I finally got a hold of AES where we figured I need either the T1750E or the EP, for paper. Very close in price, 1/2 that of a Mecury Magnetics, & I'm just not sure if there's ANY PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE between the E & the EP, or if it's simply the material, which no one will ever see. Again, it's for my Gibson GA6, which I assume is push-pull, & as per my tech, in need an 8kohm center tap to feed my 8ohm Jensen..."

Thnx 🎵 🕉 

Screenshot_20220624-130801_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220624-130714_Google.jpg

Paper insulation is the authentic way to make them, like they were originally.  I tend to favor maintaining original specs, because it can effect the value.