Gibson Brands Forums

My J-45

egoidealmusic

The grain has really turned into these beautiful stries over the past 9 months or so, and I just wanted to share what I think it just a gorgeous example of a 50s J-45.  Has a beautiful deep tone and sounds as good played lightly as it does banged on really hard.  She keeps me sane.

close up J.jpg

• Like 2

It really has become a bond.  I've altered the pins (ended up with tusq on the low 3, ebony on the high 3), strings (loving the worn in Sunbeams), and have really heard her open up, which has matched the change in coloring.  The striping is much more pronounced now than when she first arrived.  You can almost see the crystalization in the top as you turn it in certain lights--the almost rainbow effect on the grain.   Unless I'm playing the American Eagle LG just to force a change, that J is constantly next to me and is picked up many times a day.

I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to be seeing in the photo but this post does remind me of the days when I would get something new to me and place it in a stand in my bedroom so it was the last thing I saw before falling asleep and the first thing I saw when waking up.  Lawdy, I miss those days.