Gibson Brands Forums

Clip On Tuner / Snark Fell To Pieces

Murph

Got a gig coming up, had a practice Wed. and the prongs on my Snark broke and my balls fell out.

My prongs broke and my balls fell out.

What a self destructive, China engineered, time sensitive, designed to fail, panty waisted piece of crap.

What you guys using?????? 

I might just order the Peterson today, I don't think I like the lights on the TC Electronics Unitune.

I'll be playing guitar, dobro, mandolin and banjo, so a lot of tuning going on.

What you using?

Edited by Murph

Have been using the Peterson for a loong time. After a few years, the plastic on the clip broke near the hinge. I came up with a quick and dirty fix that held it together and continued using it. Then there was another thread on this forum where people discussed clip-on tuners and I told the same story. A couple days later, I received a PM from another forum member who happens to work for Peterson. He asked for my address and within a week, a replacement clip was sent to me for free - completely unsolicited. Has been working fine ever since.

Still very impressed by that kind of customer service!

What’s the tune? ‘Everything made to be broken’?

The best one, but still breakable, I have ever had and very reliant on it, is the TC Electronics Polytune...shows tuning better than most pegs can do! Not sure if they still make them but they made enough to find one. Highly reco’d, even though you may want an old tuning fork.....😷

I have two in case one breaks, batteries last forever!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I have a Peterson and a few Snarks. The only thing that has happened to me with the Snarks in the pads start to tear and won't stay on. No issues with the Peterson. I did contact Snark and they sent me replacement pads. I have Snark in my car for when I go to guitar stores and I have the Peterson tuner app on my phone as well.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I like the TC Electric Polytune, but I also like the Snarks and haven’t had issues with any of them. 

If I recall, you could buy pocketfuls of Snarks for the price of the Polytune. Then you’d have some redundancy, as well as lumpy pockets (if you’re into that look…)

😁

14 hours ago, Murph said:

Go a gig coming up, had a practice Wed. and the prongs on my Snark broke and my balls fell out.

My prongs broke and my balls fell out.

What a self destructive, China engineered, time sensitive, designed to fail, panty waisted piece of crap.

What you guys using?????? 

I might just order the Peterson today, I don't think I like the lights on the TC Electronics Unitune.

I'll be playing guitar, dobro, mandolin and banjo, so a lot of tuning going on.

What you using?

Just epoxy it in in a usable position.   I have several so treated, and generally I don't even notice when I pick one up.

10 hours ago, AnneS said:

If I recall, you could buy pocketfuls of Snarks for the price of the Polytune. Then you’d have some redundancy, as well as lumpy pockets (if you’re into that look…)

😁

The Snark is made from the same defective, deteriorating plastic that the Hercules guitar stands were. It's a Chinese product built to get our dollars and then melt away.

Snark will never get another dime from me.

However...

My nickname used to be "lumpy Pockets".

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Murph said:

The Snark is made from the same defective, deteriorating plastic that the Hercules guitar stands were. It's a Chinese product built to get our dollars and then melt away.

Snark will never get another dime from me.

However...

My nickname used to be "lumpy Pockets".

Well, I did mention a tuning fork....you could run it over.....

Though I do remember in the dark ages in the dark (stage) desperately going dounggggg, doinnnnnnggg, doinggg with my tuning fork before the band started but bass doing whoof, whoof test, test and drums going rat tat tat tat at.....someone going test, test, test on the mics..............and I would have been more in tune if I had left the guitar alone!

Then I bought the new and famous Boss TU-12 battery operated tuner! And everyone in my band used it to tune up and every band I was in was the same for a while and the TU-12 cover was now mainly gaffa tape......and if I found it in my music room in a box or bag somewhere, put a battery in it and.....would it work? My money is on : Yes.

I had a box of Snarks somewhere, but no use since I bought the TC Electronics Polytune Clip and then another backup one. Only catch is tuning outside or under very bright spotlights - look for that dark corner to tune (again) and no good in a band with loud bass/drums.

BluesKing777.

13 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Though I do remember in the dark ages in the dark (stage) desperately going dounggggg, doinnnnnnggg, doinggg with my tuning fork before the band started but bass doing whoof, whoof test, test and drums going rat tat tat tat at.....someone going test, test, test on the mics..............and I would have been more in tune if I had left the guitar alone!

Then I bought the new and famous Boss TU-12 battery operated tuner! And everyone in my band used it to tune up and every band I was in was the same for a while and the TU-12 cover was now mainly gaffa tape......and if I found it in my music room in a box or bag somewhere, put a battery in it and.....would it work? My money is on : Yes.

I do remember those dark ages, and I still have a Boss with Duct tape on the battery cover!

I'd bet pretty big money it would work too, with a new battery!

It would look kinda goofy duct taped to my headstock as well...

So, I ordered the Peterson, with some strings, from Sweetwater yesterday afternoon.

They are located in the next State, should be here in a few days if they're as quick as they used to be before they were sold out. It's my first order from them since that happened, but I couldn't find one locally.

I didn't really like the look of the lights on the TC Unitune, from looking at Youtube videos.

And, I used to use a "real" Peterson in the late 70's / early 80's out in Arizona and have fond memories of those times, and that band.

I'll report on it when I get it.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, Murph said:

"Got a gig coming up, had a practice Wed. and the prongs on my Snark broke and my balls fell out.

My prongs broke and my balls fell out........"

Murph,

You can always use some epoxy or cyano-acrylate on the prongs.

On your balls, not so much.

RBSinTo

I use a Snark but take it off as soon as I tune.. Clip on Tuners look cheap & are Ugly. They do nothing for the look of a beautiful Work of Art Guitar!

I wish one would come along that’s high quality & Literally invisible.

I wish more Guitars had built in Tuners.. Not just Acoustics… Electrics too… I don’t get why they don’t?  I’ll gladly pay a little more.. (I’m not referring to Robos either)… LOL..

All my Acoustics are also Electric. Half of the time I use my Boss Tuner foot pedal on my board as I’m usually playing Electric Guitars as well.

But it would still be nice to have a high quality clip on Tuner that is also as good looking as the Guitar it’s clipped on to..

It would be great to see some Pics of what you all are using..

21 hours ago, Murph said:

So, I ordered the Peterson, with some strings, from Sweetwater yesterday afternoon.

They are located in the next State, should be here in a few days if they're as quick as they used to be before they were sold out. It's my first order from them since that happened, but I couldn't find one locally.

I didn't really like the look of the lights on the TC Unitune, from looking at Youtube videos.

And, I used to use a "real" Peterson in the late 70's / early 80's out in Arizona and have fond memories of those times, and that band.

I'll report on it when I get it.

Yes, report back...

Is that the Peterson HD Strobodoodah clip on?

$69.99?

Want to be good! Be about double that to land one here.

Due for a newbie, might get the new gold coated strings to go with it, plus gold capo...😬

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Only 5-dollar tuners pair well with my three-thousand-dollar guitars. If it's not the cheapest of the cheap, then what are we living for? Same goes for strings. I'm always looking in the trash pile first. And who the heck needs a professional setup? I've got a three-thousand-dollar guitar, mate! Learn some economics.

upload_2020-1-9_10-2-57-png.672190

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Yes, report back...

Is that the Peterson HD Strobodoodah clip on?

$69.99?

Yep, that's the one.

It reminds me of the old one we used to use when I was a young man.

We'd "arrived" when we got the Peterson.

I’ve had two snarks break on me the same way just this week! I was actually gonna head over to guitar center this morning to get another. But, now that I see others having this problem, I may get another brand. I’ve always liked Snarks. The quality must have declined.

FWIW  -   I have had a KLIQ  Uber  tuner, for about 8 or 9  years.  Works great, display  is very clear when you are precisely in tune or 'closing in on it'.   Cost less than - but $25 now.  I probably put it on and take it off once a day    -   changed battery once or twice. Keep it in a little cardboard box when not using it, so it doesn't get beat up.  Just looked it up - 3 year guarantee. 

I somehow have amassed 3 snarks, none have broken.  I have a D'Addario clip my son gave me,  which is pretty good,  nice and bright and fast.

a Fishman clip that came as a packaged offering when I bought my Loudbox artist from Sweetwater (Meh!). 

I have a few sound hole D'Addario's too  

They all "work" ok.

But the Peterson strobe clip on that I've had for about 2 years is by far the best of the lot.

My guitar-playin bud, whom I'v ebeen banging around with since like 1977, had a Conn Strobe tuner back in the day.  at the time, that thing was hard to beat.

Edited by kidblast