Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Studio Walnut opinions?

rbpicker

I played one of these the other day and was really taken by the tone of this guitar.  I typically like walnut, but never played a H-bird.  Short scale, I think ?

I am  interested in your experience with these plain-Jane (a good thing in my book) beauties.  I may wander back tomorrow and see if it still sounds as sweet.

thanks in advance.

roger

You know, Anne, I decided to let that one pass.  It was a little more money than I thought it was worth (at least to me).  And, as I age the bigger body guitars are increasingly unwieldy, especially playing seated.  

Frankly, the tone still haunts me a little, Anne.  I was in the shop two days ago and played it again.  I think I’m trying to become disappointed with the sound, but never am.  

These guitar trials, eh?

Roger

2 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

You know, Anne, I decided to let that one pass.  It was a little more money than I thought it was worth (at least to me).  And, as I age the bigger body guitars are increasingly unwieldy, especially playing seated.  

Frankly, the tone still haunts me a little, Anne.  I was in the shop two days ago and played it again.  I think I’m trying to become disappointed with the sound, but never am.  

These guitar trials, eh?

Roger

I love mine, which is maple. Is the one you’re thinking/not thinking about also maple, I forget?  Anyway, I’m recovering from a couple of frozen shoulders (a 3-4 year recovery process), so I know something about your concern. I let a J45 go and brought in an L00 to get my hog fix. Somehow, the jumbo body is always something I can maneuver around, but I found the J45 much harder to deal with while sitting. 
Keep us posted!

I thought it was maple (which I love), but it turned out to be sycamore (called European maple I guess).  Sounds like maple to me.  That’s what attracted me to it originally.

Interesting that you get along with a jumbo, given your shoulder issues.  Glad it works for you.

we’ll see…

roger