Gibson Brands Forums

Shrinkflation...

Murph

My dogs never drank coffee anyway.  But too,

Schwann's aside, when was the last time you were able to by a "true" half gallon carton of ice cream?   I noticed quite some time ago the average carton of ice cream was less than a half gallon.

And just noticing, I have to ask.....

Are you referring to the CAN the coffee was in as weighing three pounds.....when EMPTY?  [omg]

Or a three pound can of coffee?  [wink]

Whitefang

I was a contributor here for years: https://consumerist.com/tag/grocery-shrink-ray-2/index.html

My first was the loss of a pound in a bag of sugar and a 20 - 40 cent increase in price.  It's been a long strategy that goes relatively unnoticed.

That was almost ten years ago, right around the time that anything that was "club size" or super big was hitting stupid, no savings whatsoever prices.  It's only gotten worse.

rct

The processed potato product we get, was halved. There used to be 4 packs in the box, now its only two. Worse still, the size of the packs have been reduced too.

This practise should be regulated. Either put a mandatory sticker on the pack highlighting the price increase by weight/volume, or ban it outright.

We have exactly the same problem on this side of the pond, funnily it seems worse from companies that are now American owned, like Cadbury's.

Another thing that amuses me is toilet rolls, has anyone else noticed that the tubes in the centre are increasing in diameter?  Think about it next time your at a loss as to what to think about during those reflective moments😉

4 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing some shrinkflation in the number of politicians and bureaucrats who are causing much of this.

Keep hoping.  Forever.  The incessant reach into your pocket has nothing whatsoever to do with politicians and bureaucrats.  But you keep thinking that.  You and everyone else.

You are getting had, there is no more to it.  Every time you blame the politicians you are getting had harder.

rct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I haven't bought ice cream since it was downsized to 1.75 quart, now it's down to 1.5.  Costco's is still 1/2 gallon but you have to buy 2.  Don't have room in the freezer for that so I go without.

How low will things go?  Just shrink everything down to 1oz and be done with it.

9 hours ago, rct said:

Keep hoping.  Forever.  The incessant reach into your pocket has nothing whatsoever to do with politicians and bureaucrats.  But you keep thinking that.  You and everyone else.

You are getting had, there is no more to it.  Every time you blame the politicians you are getting had harder.

Good old fashioned GREED! The thought that a politician or bureaucrat can, on a whim, raise or lower the price of a companies product is laughable.  Unless, of course, the said politician owns a stake in said company.

51 minutes ago, Murph said:

The Family Size Lays Potato Chips fit in a lunch box.

You must have a very small family.  I've not noticed any reduction in the size of a potato chip bag.  Regular or "family size".  But have noticed an increase in price.

I usually(since my hypertension diagnosis) get the "lightly salted" Better Made brand.  And in the last year noticed the price went from $3.49 for the "Family Size" bag to $4,49. 

And prices for some things have risen so high I no longer know if I should reach for my wallet, or reach for the sky!  [omg]

Whitefang

19 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Okay, let me get this straight.  Spending huge amounts of money they don’t have, borrowing huge amounts of money to cover it, combined with endless printing of money, has no effect on inflation and the lightening of our wallets?  Sure, there are a lot of causes for the current problems, but letting the politicians off the hook entirely seems rather misguided.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tx-ogre said:

Okay, let me get this straight.  Spending huge amounts of money they don’t have, borrowing huge amounts of money to cover it, combined with endless printing of money, has no effect on inflation and the lightening of our wallets?  Sure, there are a lot of causes for the current problems, but letting the politicians off the hook entirely seems rather misguided.

It is misguided to walk through a grocery store, with some level of experience, some time in your life spent buying and cooking the food, and blaming politicians for the non-stop games that go on in that place.  Through all the presidents, congresspeople, senate worms, local, state, all of them.  It doesn't matter who is in office, it never has.

rct

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

It is misguided to walk through a grocery store, with some level of experience, some time in your life spent buying and cooking the food, and blaming politicians for the non-stop games that go on in that place.  Through all the presidents, congresspeople, senate worms, local, state, all of them.  It doesn't matter who is in office, it never has.

rct

Okay.  Fair enough.  But my question is:  if the oil companies, gas stations, food suppliers, grocery stores, farmers,  etc., were on a non-stop crusade to drive prices through the roof in world-record time, why did they wait until now?  Inflation was pretty stable for many years.  It wasn’t until the past 18 months that inflation exploded.   Why is this happening now?  I’m sure trillions of dollars of unprecedented runaway deficit spending and printing of money by the Fed has absolutely nothing to do with it.  A Fed Chairman and Treasury Secretary who are totally incompetent.  Yep, no doubt greed in the private sector is solely responsible for this fiasco.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Okay.  Fair enough.  But my question is:  if the oil companies, gas stations, food suppliers, grocery stores, farmers,  etc., were on a non-stop crusade to drive prices through the roof in world-record time, why did they wait until now?  Inflation was pretty stable for many years.  It wasn’t until the past 18 months that inflation exploded.   Why is this happening now?  I’m sure trillions of dollars of runaway deficit spending and printing of money by the Fed has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Yep, no doubt greed in the private sector is solely responsible for this fiasco.

Ok well, this was about the stuff at the grocery store.

If you believe the way things are going is because of runaway deficit spending and printing money is the cause of all of this, help yourself.  I don't.  Those macroeconomic things are tossed about by people that think they can just say the words and sound really smart, and that's fine.  We can stop printing money tomorrow, lock up the deficit and end it next week.  Those two things will not stop what is going on right now.  You are getting gouged because they can, and because each day brings some new excuse for it all.

rct

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, rct said:

Ok well, this was about the stuff at the grocery store.

If you believe the way things are going is because of runaway deficit spending and printing money is the cause of all of this, help yourself.  I don't.  Those macroeconomic things are tossed about by people that think they can just say the words and sound really smart, and that's fine.  We can stop printing money tomorrow, lock up the deficit and end it next week.  Those two things will not stop what is going on right now.  You are getting gouged because they can, and because each day brings some new excuse for it all.

rct

And if you believe these things are not the cause, help yourself.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, tx-ogre said:

And if you believe these things are not the cause, help yourself.  I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

We will.  Unless you can explain to me how macroeconomic problems involving fiscal/economic policies are causing the size of a bag of cat litter to suddenly be 1.2 lbs smaller and the price be $1.28 more.  That is one tiny example from a building full of tiny examples.

rct

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1