Gibson Brands Forums

Shrinkflation...

Murph

A barrel of oil is back down to around $100.  Why didn’t the price of a gallon of gas decrease with the price of a barrel of oil? Was it the politicians? No. Oil company greed. They milk it as long as they can. My guess is the pump prices will be artificially high until after the 4th. OR, it might just be that the critical math theory they teach in schools now  produces equations like; barrel prices down equals pump prices up, and 1/3 is less than 1/4.

I’m sure no one noticed a bunch of the corporations earnings calls recently. They admitted, on record, to raising their prices recently just to jump on the bandwagon to make more profits. Hostess really pissed me off on this one because I fkn love their stuff!

A question was asked why companies etc. decided to raise their prices now. Mostly Opportunistic Greed! 

Edited by gdecant1

13 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

1/3 > 1/4

Sarcasm = Humor.  

Yep....   More than half the current crop of Liberal Arts college graduates wouldn't have gotten the message.  But then, they would also not realize the message "Contents Sold By Weight, not volume"  on your cereal box is a marketing sham dreamed up by business majors they use to make fun of.   And probably not notice when they open up a box of Kellogs Cereal - it's only 2/3rds  full.  

11 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sarcasm = Humor.  

Yep....   More than half the current crop of Liberal Arts college graduates wouldn't have gotten the message.  But then, they would also not realize the message "Contents Sold By Weight, not volume"  on your cereal box is a marketing sham dreamed up by business majors they use to make fun of.   And probably not notice when they open up a box of Kellogs Cereal - it's only 2/3rds  full.  

I was hoping that was a joke… it’s hard to tell with black and white text sometimes. Glad it wasn’t a mistake haha!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NighthawkChris said:

I was hoping that was a joke… it’s hard to tell with black and white text sometimes. Glad it wasn’t a mistake haha!

Yeah.   Read it somewhere.  Someone tried to explain that   1/4 is greater than 1/3 because 4 is bigger than 3.   It stuck in my brain because the persons who they were interviewing were supposedly in college.   Made me wonder if my degree  is only worth half what I paid for it ! 

• Haha 1

Just spent an hour composing  a lengthy explanation on how various economic policies implemented in the past 2 years have affected prices and caused inflation, but decided to delete it because it would open the door to political diatribe.   I would suggest anyone actually interested in looking at 'facts' simply look at the GDP by quarter for the past few years, given it is the single best indicator of a country's economic health.  If you do, you can overlay economic decisions made by bureaucrats and politicians and figure out for yourself where shrinkflation and inflation came from. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Made me wonder if my degree  is only worth half what I paid for it ! 

😜  Maybe only worth a THIRD!  [wink]  Which, it seems, some might think is better than half!  

Sure college is no guarantee of smarts.  One example.....

My Mom was best friends of the mother of a girl I used to play with as a kid.  That girl wound up going to college when we grew up.  One day some years back, this college graduate(not sure what kind of degree she has) called my Mom to ask if she could have a recipe of something my Mom used to make that the girl really liked.  My Mom mailed it to her, and a week later the girl called Mom and complained she wasn't given the correct recipe as it didn't turn out as tasty as she remembered it.  Going over each step my Mom found out the girl,  when  instructed to add       1 1/2 Cups of some ingredient, only added one HALF cup!    Ha!  Even my younger daughter, 14 at the time and still in middle school knew how to read a recipe better than that. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

😜  Maybe only worth a THIRD!  [wink]  Which, it seems, some might think is better than half!  

Sure college is no guarantee of smarts.  One example.....

My Mom was best friends of the mother of a girl I used to play with as a kid.  That girl wound up going to college when we grew up.  One day some years back, this college graduate(not sure what kind of degree she has) called my Mom to ask if she could have a recipe of something my Mom used to make that the girl really liked.  My Mom mailed it to her, and a week later the girl called Mom and complained she wasn't given the correct recipe as it didn't turn out as tasty as she remembered it.  Going over each step my Mom found out the girl,  when  instructed to add       1 1/2 Cups of some ingredient, only added one HALF cup!    Ha!  Even my younger daughter, 14 at the time and still in middle school knew how to read a recipe better than that. :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Yep    she read   "add one Half Cup".     Sort of like the teacher I read who told their kids  WWII   was  World War Eleven.   Half the population has below average intelligence.  Not sure if that 'means' anything though!

• Haha 2

I bought a Half Gallon of Ice Cream at Trader Joe’s the other day.. Got home & when I put it in the Freezer I was surprised to see how huge it looked next to a regular Dreyers Ice Cream!

Could they start shrinking Guitars & Amps too? Or have they?

54 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I remember hearing a while back one of the burger chains (I think A&W?) tried selling 1/3lb burgers to edge out McDonalds, but it was a huge failure because the average consumer thought 1/4lb of meat was more than 1/3lb.

Haha in reality, it should have failed because that crap will kill you eating more burger. But man, do I like a good burger… mmm

I have cholesterol issues so I have to think about this kind of, not fun stuff 😁 adjusting your diet sucks. I miss the days when I could eat like a pig and have no consequences - when I was a kid. No matter what I ate, didn’t gain an ounce. But you know, getting older… 

5 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Haha in reality, it should have failed because that crap will kill you eating more burger. But man, do I like a good burger… mmm

I have cholesterol issues so I have to think about this kind of, not fun stuff 😁 adjusting your diet sucks. I miss the days when I could eat like a pig and have no consequences - when I was a kid. No matter what I ate, didn’t gain an ounce. But you know, getting older… 

Yes.

Everything I eat nowadays makes me fat or fart.  Often both.

But I just fried myself a burger with a bun, cheese, bacon and salad.  I like chives...I've got chives, rosemary, mint, basil and a small apple tree growing this summer [thumbup]

Shopped for a few things today, veg prices are up a little more in the last 2 weeks.  Seems like the price rise you'd expect once, maybe twice, a year is fortnightly at the moment. 

Edited by jdgm

6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I remember hearing a while back one of the burger chains (I think A&W?) tried selling 1/3lb burgers to edge out McDonalds, but it was a huge failure because the average consumer thought 1/4lb of meat was more than 1/3lb.

Yeah, that was A&W.  I remember that.    Back in the '80's.  Terrible decade for several reasons.  And A&W tried the "dine-in" idea too which didn't last.  Since they quit offering the burger "family"( Papa Burger, Mama Burger, Baby Burger) it's pretty much been downhill.  But some are still hanging on.  Te one here is still going, and still a "drive in".  But since the menu change we usually(and just me now)  well, I only go there for the foot longs and the "Mad Dog".  Unlike Chris I have no cholesterol problem, but am hypertensive,  so those A&W trips are far and few between.  Can't help it.  It's nostalgic since I worked there for a while when I was in high school like my brother before me.  [wink]

Whitefang

OK.  But he's either a divorcee or a widower because Mama and the Baby are gone.  And I also think the Baby Beer is gone too.   Plus, the last time I was there I didn't get my "mad dog" in a mug.   It came in a large coated paper cup like at other fast food places.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Yes.

Everything I eat nowadays makes me fat or fart.  Often both.

But I just fried myself a burger with a bun, cheese, bacon and salad.  I like chives...I've got chives, rosemary, mint, basil and a small apple tree growing this summer [thumbup]

Shopped for a few things today, veg prices are up a little more in the last 2 weeks.  Seems like the price rise you'd expect once, maybe twice, a year is fortnightly at the moment. 

I like to grow lettuce and make a good salad with it all. I put a simple olive oil and red wine vinegar mix with some pepper and the like with some nice additional things like onions and pine nuts, cranberries, apple slices... My favorite salads are ones with arugula instead of lettuce. Don’t get me started with tomatoes… I love me some of those! Don’t know how I have a cholesterol problem TBH because I eat good and exercise… but hey, numbers don’t lie. My dad had issues with it too. And not going to lie, I’ll grill me up a mean burger when I need to have one haha! I wish I could like fish more. Haven’t been scared to try but just can’t make myself like it in general. Olives are the same… just can’t like them - and I’ve tried. By the third olive, I’m feeling queasy.

@Whitefang I go to A&W for foot longs coneys - and root beer! Their RB is awesome! Coneys are a weakness for me. I admit… but usually I make them at home. It has been a long time since I’ve done the A&W. I don’t think I’ve ever had a burger from there come to think of it. Oh don’t forget about the RB floats 😁

16 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@Whitefang I go to A&W for foot longs coneys - and root beer! Their RB is awesome! Coneys are a weakness for me. I admit… but usually I make them at home. It has been a long time since I’ve done the A&W. I don’t think I’ve ever had a burger from there come to think of it. Oh don’t forget about the RB floats 😁

My brother worked there before I did.  He turned me on to the "mad dogs" .  One great thing about working there was I  never had to pay for them then [wink].

They still have their Tuesday coney specials.  99 cents.  But they changed the way they made their fries, so now they're no better than anyplace else.  ☹️

But that Lincoln Park A&W has been there since the '40's(I think).  Located on Southfield Rd. across the street from the police station, and next door to the roller rink, STILL doing strong business in that same location since the '20's.

Whitefang

• Like 1