Gibson Brands Forums

Always wanted to learn to play....

Jimmyw

...retired about 4 years and always wanted to learn. Started lessons 4 months ago with a Silvertone acoustic - have now graduated to a beautiful semi-hollow Shreaton II Pro. I love this thing and can't wait to grow into it. I am having trouble with the strings in it, though. Wanted ask what type/brand do you guys feel works best with this guitar, given my level.   thanks

jimmy

Welcome to the forum.  I looked at an ad for Epi Sheraton Pro II on the Andertons site and got these specs -  strings are 10 to 46 which is about right.   Sounds as if you may need a guitar set-up (height of strings, action, intonation etc) and/or a new set of strings.  You could go lighter (.009 gauge set) but the guitar should be set up to play well and the shop/supplier doesn't always do this as it takes time.  You might want to look at some youtube videos on guitar set-up.  

Specifications

• Body Material: Laminated Maple
  • Top Material: Laminated Maple
  • Neck Material: 5-pc Hard Maple / Walnut Laminated
  • Neck Shape: 1960s SlimTaper, C-Profile
  • Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set-Neck
  • Scale Length: 24.75"
  • Fingerboard Material: Pau Ferro with "Block & Triangle" Inlays, Mother of Pearl and Abalone
  • Fingerboard Radius: 12"
  • Frets: 22, Medium-Jumbo
  • Binding: Top: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), Back: 1-Ply (Ivory/Black), Neck: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), Headstock: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), "F" Holes: 1-Ply (Ivory/Black)
  • Headstock: Vintage "Large Clipped Ear" with Mother of Pearl "Vine" Inlay
  • Nut: Graphtech NuBone XL
  • Nut Width: 1-11/16"
  • Hardware: Gold
  • Machine Heads: Grover Rotomatic, 18:1 Ratio
  • Neck Pickup: ProBucker-2
  • Bridge Pickup: ProBucker-3
  • Controls: Bridge Volume with Coil-Tapping, Neck Volume with Coil-Tapping, Bridge Tone, Neck Tone, 3-Way Pickup Selector (toggle), Ivory Toggle Cap
  • Bridge: Epiphone LockTone Tune-o-matic
  • Tailpiece: Epiphone LockTone Stop Bar
  • Pickguard: Bound "Tortoise" Pickguard with Metal "E"
  • Truss Rod Cover: 2-Ply (Black/White), Vintage "E" in White
  • Knobs: Top Hats with Metal Inserts (Volume/Tone)
  • Strings: D'Addario 10-46 Gauge
  • Typical Weight: 8.7 lbs
  • Options: Hard Case

Welcome

guitar strings are very much a personal preference. Here’s what I recommend

https://www.daddario.com/products/guitar/electric-guitar/xl-nickel/exl120-nickel-wound-super-light-09-42/

The 9-42 set is a bit lighter than what came one the Sheraton. This will be a bit easier to play and bend and can help you with developing a light touch with your fretting fingers 

when you change string gauge you will need to do a slight adjustment to intonation and possibly a couple other slight adjustments. That’s all very easy to do yourself and important to learn as a beginner

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

thanks for the specs. I have a great instructor ( who also does repair) and the shop is really good about helping. The shop is also where I take lessons, so they are getting to know me well. Especially since I've bought everything I own from them. I will look at the videos to get more info.

thanks again,

jimmy

Welcome to the forum.  I looked at an ad for Epi Sheraton Pro II on the Andertons site and got these specs -  strings are 10 to 46 which is about right.   Sounds as if you may need a guitar set-up (height of strings, action, intonation etc) and/or a new set of strings.  You could go lighter (.009 gauge set) but the guitar should be set up to play well and the shop/supplier doesn't always do this as it takes time.  You might want to look at some youtube videos on guitar set-up.  

Specifications

• Body Material: Laminated Maple
  • Top Material: Laminated Maple
  • Neck Material: 5-pc Hard Maple / Walnut Laminated
  • Neck Shape: 1960s SlimTaper, C-Profile
  • Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set-Neck
  • Scale Length: 24.75"
  • Fingerboard Material: Pau Ferro with "Block & Triangle" Inlays, Mother of Pearl and Abalone
  • Fingerboard Radius: 12"
  • Frets: 22, Medium-Jumbo
  • Binding: Top: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), Back: 1-Ply (Ivory/Black), Neck: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), Headstock: 5-Ply (Ivory/Black), "F" Holes: 1-Ply (Ivory/Black)
  • Headstock: Vintage "Large Clipped Ear" with Mother of Pearl "Vine" Inlay
  • Nut: Graphtech NuBone XL
  • Nut Width: 1-11/16"
  • Hardware: Gold
  • Machine Heads: Grover Rotomatic, 18:1 Ratio
  • Neck Pickup: ProBucker-2
  • Bridge Pickup: ProBucker-3
  • Controls: Bridge Volume with Coil-Tapping, Neck Volume with Coil-Tapping, Bridge Tone, Neck Tone, 3-Way Pickup Selector (toggle), Ivory Toggle Cap
  • Bridge: Epiphone LockTone Tune-o-matic
  • Tailpiece: Epiphone LockTone Stop Bar
  • Pickguard: Bound "Tortoise" Pickguard with Metal "E"
  • Truss Rod Cover: 2-Ply (Black/White), Vintage "E" in White
  • Knobs: Top Hats with Metal Inserts (Volume/Tone)
  • Strings: D'Addario 10-46 Gauge
  • Typical Weight: 8.7 lbs
  • Options: Hard Case

it might be just me over reacting a bit - several strings seem to go out of tune quicker than I would think, but maybe they were new already. I just bought it used from the shop I take lessons from, and it looks so new, in fact the price was just under the new price. I don't know enough yet to determine what strings are in it but I think it's probably 10's. And, I'm probably hitting the strings a little hard, coming from my acoustic. I'll just keep at it for a while, keep tuning it - if it gets excessive, I'll change the strings.........thanks for the reply . I equate it to learning a new tennis racquet or golf club - it is such a sweet sound though, I'm really enjoying it.   

jimmy

Possible the strings may be binding up at the nut.  detune the strings a bit so you can lift them out of the nut slot.

Take a dab of Vaseline on the end of a toothpick and put a small bit in each nut slot.

Then retune and see if it helps.

If it does, then you probably have a few nut slots that are bit too narrow.

See if the shop has a repair tech on site, or someone they send guitars to.  they'd have the nut files which will take care of any tight nut slots.

You can also get lubricants made just for this.

Big Bends Nut Sauce is a good one to use (you can get that on Amazon)

If the strings on it are new (or you think they might be), you might want to ensure they have been stretched.   If tuning stability is the issue, this may solve the problem.  A quick and easy fix and good to know for future string changes.  If this isn’t the problem, the advice above from the other members above is also sound.  Good luck.