Gibson Brands Forums

New here…

David Truran

Welcome; that is a beauty.  I bet it sounds even better than it looks - have you worked on it? The bridge base is light-coloured for an oldie.  Very, very nice indeed.

If you copy your post into the acoustic section of the forum you should get plenty more interest!!

Best wishes.

As far as I know, the L-7 is all original except for the pick guard, which I built. The original turned to dust as many do because of unstable resins. All the hardware is original. The bridge is very dry - I ought consider oiling next time I change strings. The A-3 I bought in pieces from a family where it had been stored in an attic for maybe 40 years - all in pieces and the original ebony fretboard had turned to dust. In re-assembling, it got a new finger board that I radiused to 12" and new frets. Tap-tuned and profiled the back and belly after treating it with potassium silicate as in an old violin. When assembled, It got a fresh varnish job with oil-based violin varnish and 19th century pigments, some derived from distilled blood (mine). It's a great player.