Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage or not?

Hi everybody!

Could you guys (and ladies) help me out, please? I want to buy a guitar, the actual owner says it is a Hummingbird True Vintage. It was built in March 2007. It has the old style tuners, the "Hummingbird" on the truss rod cover and the brown/pink case. But the label just says "Hummingbird" not "Hummingbird TV". Is it a True Vintage? I uploaded pics for you to help me identify. Thank you very very much!!

IMG_1671 Kopie.jpg

IMG_7777 Kopie.jpg

• 9 months later...

Somewhat late for the party but I can say that I also have a very similar guitar - the tuners, label, production year - and including the Gibson logo inlay which got malformed over time. For a moment I was thinking it's my guitar in the photo 😄 

I was also a bit sceptical about the model being TV, but: after a discussion on this forum and writing to Gibson with the serial I'm convinced that it is.

Best giveaway is the finish on the top. It's very thin and exposes the thin grain of the wood. I believe that especially in the first years of the TV (round 2006) not all models got the "True Vintage" on the label, at least that's true for these birds. If you post more high quality photos of the top I believe it would assist in identifying the model. Or simply ask Gibson regarding the serial number via email. They answered me quite quickly...