Gibson Brands Forums

Which Hummingbird version is this?

Thomas Edler

Dear Gibson-Fans,

I hope you can help me out! I am willing to buy a Gibson Hummingbird. The seller says it is a True Vintage, the orange label in the guitar just says "Hummingbird". Trussrod Cover is with "Hummingbird" engrave, binding goes over the end of the frets, pickguard looks like it has been hand painted, because it is losing it's colors, case is brown/pink which is a TV Case. The Serial Number says it was built 2007. Has there been a Hummingbird TV version with orange label where it only says "Hummingbird" on the label? Is it for shure a TV Version? I postet also in the "Identification" Threat but thought it could help to post also here... And I thought if I start a Topic here, I could post also other pics of the guitar. Thanks for your time and knowledge!!! Greetings from Austria, Thomas

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-22 um 15.16.26 Kopie.jp2

Finding a Hummingbird TV from the early years of the True Vintage line in a condition such as that would a very good thing. Not saying “True Vintage” on the label wouldn’t concern me- my ‘07 J-45 TV didn’t have that on it’s orange label. And having the brown TV case was a plus.

A fine looking Hummingbird TV you have there… hopefully it sounds as good as it looks.

@62burst Thank you very much! I would love to share more pictures with you but I have just 24,36kB left for files.. I hope that's just for today 🙂 you can see 2 other pics in the ID forum. The Hbird will come next week and I am shure it sounds great because the seller was so nice to record it for me (twice!!) without EQ, compressor... and it sounded fantastic!!! I will keep you updated if you like 🙂 Thanks for your help! I got more information within 2 hours from you all than I did by researching the internet the last days. I got a J-45 TV too and love it. Which strings do you use? I prefer Martin Retro .12 or John Pearse Phosphor Bronce .12 on my J-45. Greetings, Thomas

Upload to a photo hosting site such as imgur.com and you can direct link here in the forum as many photos as you like.

As far as strings, why not just use the strings you are most familiar with first, so that you can see how they work on the Hummingbird? Do share some updates when you get the Hummingbird settled in.

• Like 1

The H'bird, especially the TV - is obviously different than a J45. So, different strings might get you closer to what you're looking for.  Some of us prefer strings that are aged a bit so they are not overly bright.  12s are what I use.  Martin Lifespan SP.  Had them on for almost 3 years now.  About ready for a new set.  Congrats!   Let us know how it works out.  

On 6/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, Thomas Edler said:

Thank you very very much! And did you also have 2007 versions where the label just says "Hummingbird"? Or did it say "Hummingbird TV". When I google pics, I just find versions that say TV...

It said "Hummingbird TV" I believe.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

The H'bird, especially the TV - is obviously different than a J45. So, different strings might get you closer to what you're looking for.  Some of us prefer strings that are aged a bit so they are not overly bright.  12s are what I use.  Martin Lifespan SP.  Had them on for almost 3 years now.  About ready for a new set.  Congrats!   Let us know how it works out.  

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I prefer aged strings too (aged, but not dead) 😉 Thank you for your input - Lifespan are on the "try-out" list!

51 minutes ago, groovadelic said:

It said "Hummingbird TV" I believe.

Today the Customer Service Worldwide and Customer Service Europe replied and both said it is a TV Model, also when it just "Hummingbird" is written on the label. But you gave me the confidence to take it and it will come next week - I am really excited!! Thank you very much for your help! Which strings did/do you prefer on your TV?

On 6/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, Thomas Edler said:

The Hbird will come next week and I am sure it sounds great because the seller was so nice to record it for me (twice!!) without EQ, compressor... and it sounded fantastic!!! I will keep you updated if you like 🙂 

Just great - I hope it flies in well. You will find the difference between the slope and the square ever exiting. They will tell what you got simply by bein' different.

Please keep us updated and don't hold back details. 

Huge fan of these and here are mine - 2012 - 2008 - 2012. All very different - the puppy syndrom. 

The 3 Birds 2016

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Had them on for almost 3 years now.  About ready for a new set.  Congrats!   Let us know how it works out.  

You are one serious Bird man - but we know. I hover right behind you. . 

"You are one serious Bird man - but we know. I hover right behind you. ."

I'm humbled...   You are clearly above and ahead.   My H'bird TV fell into my lap ...  wasn't searching for 'the one'.   But, it is the one I would grab if the SHTF.  Along with my 3 dogs...   

Curious, just opened the photo in the OP.   Burst appears a shade lighter than the TVs I've seen - like yours, I assume the one in the middle?   I also noticed it appears to have a pickup control in the sound hole.   Unless installed after it left Bozeman (sacrilege !) it  would indicate this guitar is on the cusp - possibly in the early days as the Standards were being upgraded to what would be carved out asTVs, but before the two were officially separated into two different models.  Would be great if the original owner had preserved the 'certificate' to see what it says.  But, at the end of the day,  'A Rose By Any Other Name..." 

On 6/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, E-minor7 said:

Just great - I hope it flies in well. You will find the difference between the slope and the square ever exiting. They will tell what you got simply by bein' different.

Please keep us updated and don't hold back details. 

Huge fan of these and here are mine - 2012 - 2008 - 2012. All very different - the puppy syndrom. 

The 3 Birds 2016

You are one serious Bird man - but we know. I hover right behind you. . 

Wow! The guitar comes this week and I will give you all the details 👍 Which strings do you use on you Hummingbirds? I am still looking for some input 🙂

On 6/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, fortyearspickn said:

"You are one serious Bird man - but we know. I hover right behind you. ."

I'm humbled...   You are clearly above and ahead.   My H'bird TV fell into my lap ...  wasn't searching for 'the one'.   But, it is the one I would grab if the SHTF.  Along with my 3 dogs...   

Curious, just opened the photo in the OP.   Burst appears a shade lighter than the TVs I've seen - like yours, I assume the one in the middle?   I also noticed it appears to have a pickup control in the sound hole.   Unless installed after it left Bozeman (sacrilege !) it  would indicate this guitar is on the cusp - possibly in the early days as the Standards were being upgraded to what would be carved out asTVs, but before the two were officially separated into two different models.  Would be great if the original owner had preserved the 'certificate' to see what it says.  But, at the end of the day,  'A Rose By Any Other Name..." 

Thank you for your answer and input! Yes, it is lighter but I#ve already seen a TV which had this color (which I prefer). The pickup was installed 2 years ago and is a L.R. Baggs Anthem - which is my favorite acoustic guitar pickup 🙂 So, yes it was after Bozeman 😉 As I know, all the TV's came without a pickup system, but I want her to see the stage and as I said, it is my favorite pickup - perfect for me.

Gibson Customer Service Worldwide and also Europe confirmed to me, that it is a TV but I do not get an extra "certificate" from them, what's a pity but ok... The owner has the paperwork somewhere at home but gave it out of the case. As soon as he finds it he will send it to me... I hope it will happen 😉

14 hours ago, Thomas Edler said:

Wow! The guitar comes this week and I will give you all the details 👍 Which strings do you use on you Hummingbirds? I am still looking for some input 🙂

Sounds good - I will not be the only one listening. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

When buying my 2012 Hummingbird it stunned me how good it sounded. O yea, they generally do - but this ex had an extra flavor, which blew my hat off.                                                                                                                        Both from the woods, , , , ,  and the strings (I later found out).

Because after first change it was as if I didn't quite manage to get the same voice. There was a smokey dimension around the (solid)core-voice that kind of lacked. This made me start an investigation of what Bozeman used from scratch. We had a handful of debates here and soon the consensus was that they were shipped with Gibson Masterbuilts Bronze Lights 12-53.       

I of course went for them and the more they faded the closer they came. Yet it still wasn't all 1 to 1 with what I recalled. I then did something extreme. Visited two shops and bought the strings off two True Vintage H-birds from their walls. This happened with a gab of 2 years. Hmmmm, , , yaaaa, but wasnt all sure. And so it dawned on me that Masterbuilts Bronze came with silver ball-ends - BUT the ones on the 3 sets from shop-guitars were gold  (Silver-balls mean goldish Bronze-strings - Bronze-balls are cobberish Phosphor Bronze strings 🤓)                                                                                                                                                                           

Now the confusion started to bite. And my sonic memory began to fade - what was what, , ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   and had I in the first place been so mesmerized with the Bird that overworldly tones was received by endorphin soaked eardrums

4-5 years forward. And Gibson launches new strings. A member here (can't remember who) recommends trying the new Ph. b. in the coated version - and then wait for them to fade.                           

That's where I am now. Not a coated steel fan at all, but the idea appeared tempting enough to give it a try.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     And the Birds sound good - sometimes excellent - also though they haven't lost all their chemicals. 

Well, , , as you have figured out my quest was a failure. I was lost in the maze of variables and blind clues. Had to capitulate.                                                                                                                                         Ergo, mister Edler, I'm afraid I can't help you. Though it would have been a pleasure to just throw the straight answer card. 

But one thing is certain.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The coated new Gibsons will be taken off soon. Perhaps only for a week one of the sets from the shopwall Bird will go back on. This will show a lot - a report shall follow. 

Edited by E-minor7

On 6/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, E-minor7 said:

Sounds good - I will not be the only one listening. 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

When buying my 2012 Hummingbird it stunned me how good it sounded. O yea, they generally do - but this ex had an extra flavor, which blew my hat off.                                                                                                                        Both from the woods, , , , ,  and the strings (I later found out).

Because after first change it was as if I didn't quite manage to get the same voice. There was a smokey dimension around the (solid)core-voice that kind of lacked. This made me start an investigation of what Bozeman used from scratch. We had a handful of debates here and soon the consensus was that they were shipped with Gibson Masterbuilts Bronze Lights 12-53.       

I of course went for them and the more they faded the closer they came. Yet it still wasn't all 1 to 1 with what I recalled. I then did something extreme. Visited two shops and bought the strings off two True Vintage H-birds from their walls. This happened with a gab of 2 years. Hmmmm, , , yaaaa, but wasnt all sure. And so it dawned on me that Masterbuilts Bronze came with silver ball-ends - BUT the ones on the 3 sets from shop-guitars were gold  (Silver-balls mean goldish Bronze-strings - Bronze-balls are cobberish Phosphor Bronze strings 🤓)                                                                                                                                                                           

Now the confusion started to bite. And my sonic memory began to fade - what was what, , ,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   and had I in the first place been so mesmerized with the Bird that overworldly tones was received by endorphin soaked eardrums

4-5 years forward. And Gibson launches new strings. A member here (can't remember who) recommends trying the new Ph. b. in the coated version - and then wait for them to fade.                           

That's where I am now. Not a coated steel fan at all, but the idea appeared tempting enough to give it a try.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     And the Birds sound good - sometimes excellent - also though they haven't lost all their chemicals. 

Well, , , as you have figured out my quest was a failure. I was lost in the maze of variables and blind clues. Had to capitulate.                                                                                                                                         Ergo, mister Edler, I'm afraid I can't help you. Though it would have been a pleasure to just throw the straight answer card. 

But one thing is certain.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The coated new Gibsons will be taken off soon. Perhaps only for a week one of the sets from the shopwall Bird will go back on. This will show a lot - a report shall follow. 

Thank you for sharing your story with me! I think "searching the perfect acoustic" is a lifelong mission 😉 And if you have a special guitar it begins with strings, picks, maybe endpins, bridge, saddle... I love my J-45 TV 2014 to death! It is a fantastic guitar and I use the Martin Retro strings with it - but in my opinion they are quieter (and my J-45 isn't a loud guitar, it is a warm, woody and "boxy" guitar and with this strings it sounds so vintage and specia!l). I love it when I play alone but if you jam it's hard to manage the volume - thanks to the Adirondack, it doesn't get too "brassy" or "metallic" if I have to hit it really hard... I also have a Sheryl Crow Country Western from 2009 which is also a really really good guitar but the Martin Retro strings die very fast on that guitar. It takes longer for them to sound perfect on the guitar and 3 days later they feel dead... But this guitar seems to be a fantastic band setup guitar. It has this beautiful Gibson mids, is brighter than the J-45 TV, has more heights but they are lovely - it's far away from that Taylor guitar played with Elixir heights that sounds like cutlery and glasses hitting the tile floor (Sorry for all Taylor lovers - but a Taylor mixed with Elixir strings is a crime in my eyes) sound 😄  Today my Hummingbird TV will arrive and I'm glad the pre-owner hast Martin retro on it - so I can compare these three guitars with the same strings (not evenly played, but same strings) and then I have to start searching... I think I will try out John Pears PB, DR Sunbeams and Pyramids and Martin Lifespan on the Hummingbird TV and the Sheryl Crow - Lot's of work to do here 😉  If you find your perfect strings - please tell me, would love to try them out!

Greetings, Thomas

1 hour ago, Thomas Edler said:

Thank you for sharing your story with me! I think "searching the perfect acoustic" is a lifelong mission 😉 And if you have a special guitar it begins with strings, picks, maybe endpins, bridge, saddle... I love my J-45 TV 2014 to death! It is a fantastic guitar and I use the Martin Retro strings with it - but in my opinion they are quieter (and my J-45 isn't a loud guitar, it is a warm, woody and "boxy" guitar and with this strings it sounds so vintage and specia!l). I love it when I play alone but if you jam it's hard to manage the volume - thanks to the Adirondack, it doesn't get too "brassy" or "metallic" if I have to hit it really hard... I also have a Sheryl Crow Country Western from 2009 which is also a really really good guitar but the Martin Retro strings die very fast on that guitar. It takes longer for them to sound perfect on the guitar and 3 days later they feel dead... But this guitar seems to be a fantastic band setup guitar. It has this beautiful Gibson mids, is brighter than the J-45 TV, has more heights but they are lovely - it's far away from that Taylor guitar played with Elixir heights that sounds like cutlery and glasses hitting the tile floor (Sorry for all Taylor lovers - but a Taylor mixed with Elixir strings is a crime in my eyes) sound 😄  Today my Hummingbird TV will arrive and I'm glad the pre-owner hast Martin retro on it - so I can compare these three guitars with the same strings (not evenly played, but same strings) and then I have to start searching... I think I will try out John Pears PB, DR Sunbeams and Pyramids and Martin Lifespan on the Hummingbird TV and the Sheryl Crow - Lot's of work to do here 😉  If you find your perfect strings - please tell me, would love to try them out!

Greetings, Thomas

Thanks backs to you ^

Well the (to me) until now unknown card in the line is the 2009 Country Western. And this will be the possibility to not only compare the 2 classics, Hummingbird and J-45, but really understand the nature of both squares. In my experience the Crow CWs have all been good, but slightly rougher than the sweeter Birds. Maybe a coincidence - could have had something to do with the thickness of the guards. The report will now provide even more perspective. I look forward. Have a splendid New-Guitar-Day.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, E-minor7 said:

And so it dawned on me that Masterbuilts Bronze came with silver ball-ends - BUT the ones on the 3 sets from shop-guitars were gold  (Silver-balls mean goldish Bronze-strings - Bronze-balls are cobberish Phosphor Bronze strings 😵)                                                                                                                                                                          

To confuse things further, the new Gibson strings have both silver and gold ball-ends. From high to low :    - G - SG - S - G 

Dear Gibson lovers,

In the last few months I ordered and tested 2 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge, a Hummingbird Original and a Hummingbird Standard Model. I ordered them from 2 big stores in Germany and clarified before if it is ok to try out different strings and send them back if I do not like them. Here in Austria you just it is near to impossible to get the Gibsons models I would like since Covid and all the circumstances that came with it. And it is also hard to find the models you like all over Europe... So no chance to get in the stores (10 hour drive for one direction). On the other hand, in the stores I wouldn't have had the chance to change the strings etc. Long story short: I sent them all back! Also both 1960  Fixed Bridge with torrifies Top. My J-45 TV was always the better choice! An hour ago the Hummingbird TV 2007 just came in (with the same strings I love on my J-45 TV and I also use on the Crow CW). And guess what??? IT ****ING BLEW ME AWAY - it killed my J-45 instantly (to be fair the strings are a bit on the older side on the J-45) 😱 Now I've got 2 acoustics, that I will NEVER give away and both are from the True Vintage series of Gibson. Should I go for a SJ-200 TV next? 😉

9 hours ago, Thomas Edler said:

An hour ago the Hummingbird TV 2007 just came in (with the same strings I love on my J-45 TV and I also use on the Crow CW). And guess what??? IT ****ING BLEW ME AWAY

Now I've got 2 acoustics, that I will NEVER give away and both are from the True Vintage series of Gibson. Should I go for a SJ-200 TV next? 😉

Oooohhh congratulations. 🎈 What a lucky incident this ex finally answered your expectations.  Wonder what makes it stand out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Now we need to hear how it unfolds beside (primarily) the Country Western - and of course a short recording.   

P.S. - Do notice it's a black ring rosette. No that it matters, , , just so you know. .                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Thank you so much! A friend of mine came yesterday and we had a little jam session - the Hummingbird and the J-45 harmonize sooooo well - unbelievable! Testing them will take a bit of time... Hard times coming for the SC...

What does a black ring rosette mean? Sorry, I learned a lot about Hummingbirds in the last year, but you seem to be really specialized here. Does it say something about the model? 🙂

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Oooohhh congratulations. 🎈 What a lucky incident this ex finally answered your expectations.  Wonder what makes it stand out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Now we need to hear how it unfolds beside (primarily) the Country Western - and of course a short recording.   

P.S. - Do notice it's a black ring rosette. No that it matters, , , just so you know. .                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

😂 You made me a bit nervous about the rosette, so I did a research. I googled Hummingbird True Vintage 2007 and they all were that (as I find) very beautiful orange sunburst with the w/b/w rosette and I found a Topic in this forum where you were discussing it with @father_of_pearl - where he said that the True Vintage version was the "new" reissue version, and had the w/b/w rosette from 2007 to 2009 it had this rosette and was orange (except the limited 167 pieces run with the black/yellow case). 👍 And the customer service also told me it is a TV - no matter if theres no "TV" on the orange label 😂

2 hours ago, Thomas Edler said:

What does a black ring rosette mean? Sorry, I learned a lot about Hummingbirds in the last year, but you seem to be really specialized here. Does it say something about the model? 🙂

Well, what I call the black rosette is seen on your Bird. The white ditto is what (probably) incircles the s-hole on the Sheryl Crow CW. 

In my experience TV Birds typically feature the white r, Standards the black. There are exceptions though. Eeeeeh, yours fx, , , AND one of mine from 2012.                                                                                            Look at the pic of my TV trio above. The guitar to the right has the black r, the others have white. The one to the left btw, is from the 2008 167 black/yellow case  batch. 

But good Edler, I tried not to worry you by writing it didn't matter. Hope your nerves didn't begin to fringe. . 

Ooouh, , , one more thing. Haven't yet seen white rosettes on a Standard, , , ever. .