Gibson Brands Forums

what is with double cut...priced lower than LS STD?

gibsonrene

I wouldn't know how to price a 16 year old guitar, not familiar with the rate of depreciation usually given.  But I would imagine it shouldn't be priced any higher than any other LP of the same age and condition.

Whitefang

They are far less popular. That's one factor. Though I love the look of them; much more than the single cuts. Rabs also likes these. Price? I've seen them offered from time to time at prices similar to regular STDs, but they can hang around a while. Eventually they sell. 

These with the bling (carved tops, binding etc) you dont see so often. More common are the cheaper basic slab models (Specials). I'd consider one seriously if I found one I liked.

10 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

They are far less popular. That's one factor. Though I love the look of them; much more than the single cuts. Rabs also likes these. Price? I've seen them offered from time to time at prices similar to regular STDs, but they can hang around a while. Eventually they sell. 

These with the bling (carved tops, binding etc) you dont see so often. More common are the cheaper basic slab models (Specials). I'd consider one seriously if I found one I liked.

this one is quoted at 1260 USD....I think it is a good price? I wonder how the frets are and if you need to refret it, that would also cost a lot

I remember staring at this in a musiciansfriend catalog that I had when I was looking for my first guitar. No idea on the price but I was really interested in this guitar at the time 

Since the fretboard isn’t bound a refret would be significantly easier/cheaper. I would certainly think there should be plenty of fret left to level/crown if they are badly worn. The frets at that time were quite big and flat on top

1 minute ago, gibsonrene said:

this one is quoted at 1260 USD....I think it is a good price? I wonder how the frets are and if you need to refret it, that would also cost a lot

I'm in the uk and our prices are always more. With price adjustment for USA I would guess that looks reasonable. There's one in uk at the moment for £1,500 (reduced from £1,750) without a OHSC.

This link shows a bunch of them https://www.patrickhansen.com/2009/03/13/gibson-les-paul-double-cuts/ 

55 minutes ago, gibsonrene said:

already sold....it was up only few hours.....seller did not even respond to me....****ing hell..there must be many other geeks looking for listing every hour here in my coutnry...

Well another might be had if you have the patience and check often. 

Note that these have the simplified circuit with just one master vol & tone. I prefer this (so does Sparquelito) but most do not. 

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes I do.....  🙂  Well the shape and the look of them. I think if I ever did buy one I would have to mod it to a four knob system....

The thing is with these and the LP Classic and Traditional models. I never understood either exactly why they were cheaper than a LP Standard apart from they were trying to say that the Standard is the one to have (the flagship model as such) so worth paying more for?...  Never made any sense to me at all but I preferred the Classic so it was nothing but a good deal for me and didnt really question it after that.

Edited by Rabs