Gibson Brands Forums

2017 gibson SG T like a custom shop ?

tom brown

I was finally able to make my purchase of this 2017 Gibson SG T and I have to say that this is a really finely constructed guitar .

A friend of mine who is a master luthier looked it over really well and agreed with me .

The neck is a slim taper so it seems just the right size and it has the 57 pickups in it which I happen to like .  They do have a brightness to them but that’s where tone controls and equalization comes in on your guitar amp .   Also I plan to put DR blues nickel strings on it which will turn the brightness down a little bit .  And I usually drop the pick ups a little lower than the factory specs , that helps.

It also has a locking Grover tuners which work really well .

I think I got lucky because this guitar was never played, it was bought and put in a case and then listed for sale as being in excellent condition . Not any fret marks at all.

It overdrives very well but I really like these pickups when they’re just on the cusp of being overdriven where if you digging you could get that little bit of overdrive .

I really think this guitar is a custom shop quality when compared to some that I have played .

I’m using a roland  40 watt  cube and a fender blues junior 4  edition .  I only have a Wawa pedal but I’m trying to figure out which would be the best pedal with this guitar and a fender tube amp for unsaturated overdrive ??

cheers !! 

Edited by tom brown

Hey Tom! 

Congrats on the purchase,  sounds like you found a gem.  Classic 57s are awesome pickups, personally among my favorite Gibson's Humbuckers

and my 2nd love are SGs, I have 2 myself.  (#1 choice for me is a Les Paul standard)

Show us some photos sometime! 

Cheers!

Hi Tom.

Great you found such a good SG. Pics would be good (hosting site - like kidblast says^)