Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 Standard finish

Remmuts

I bought a new L-00 Standard a year ago in May 2021.

Last week I noticed the finish flaked off of the fretboard side, the length of the first fret. This would be the area where neck binding would be. Then I noticed the finish was defective along the tire length of the nut!

When I first got the guitar the last 5 or 6 frets along the surface of the fretboard was covered with a white substance that I just can’t remove. I thought, oh well, I can live with it, but the finish flaking off is, to me, not acceptable on a $2700.00 guitar.

A well known online supplier said it is normal wear, caused by hands. That is not true, even thumb over fretting doesn’t touch that area. I was told that’s just the way it is with that type of finish.

If I knew how to post photos I would.

Any L-00 owners out there with newer models having this same issue?

Bill

Without photos it's hard to tell what you are describing.  Take photos, put them on a free photo hosting site (like Imgr) then you can copy and paste them to this site.  I have owned about 12 Gibson guitars since 1965, both acoustic and electric, and have never had the finish "flake off" as you say, nor have I had a white substance on the fretboard.  Unless this is just trolling for some reason post some photos and maybe we can help you.

1 hour ago, slimt said:

Though Im sure there trying to correct the issue.    Just maybe.   😬

I must have missed the  "Recall Notice".   Or was it a comment someone posted on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum ?      "Most, if not all..."   sort of tops your other posts/complaints about Gibson quality.   I'm sure you must have actual proof of this claim, or you wouldn't have made it....   so I won't suggest you post it.   Maybe. 

Gibson or any other guitar manufacturers do warranty their finish:

This Warranty Is Subject To The Following Limitations

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

Here is a link to the warranty page:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Warranty/Gibson

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I must have missed the  "Recall Notice".   Or was it a comment someone posted on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum ?      "Most, if not all..."   sort of tops your other posts/complaints about Gibson quality.   I'm sure you must have actual proof of this claim, or you wouldn't have made it....   so I won't suggest you post it.   Maybe. 

I have owned a few  Gibson acoustic and electrics   Of different models that have had clear separation at glue or butt joints.  The nut, fingerboard areas  the odd one at the heel. 

keep in mind.  We only get a year up here for a warranty on new purchases.  

Edited by slimt

On 6/27/2022 at 11:55 PM, Remmuts said:

I bought a new L-00 Standard a year ago in May 2021.

Last week I noticed the finish flaked off of the fretboard side, the length of the first fret. This would be the area where neck binding would be. Then I noticed the finish was defective along the tire length of the nut!

When I first got the guitar the last 5 or 6 frets along the surface of the fretboard was covered with a white substance that I just can’t remove. I thought, oh well, I can live with it, but the finish flaking off is, to me, not acceptable on a $2700.00 guitar.

A well known online supplier said it is normal wear, caused by hands. That is not true, even thumb over fretting doesn’t touch that area. I was told that’s just the way it is with that type of finish.

If I knew how to post photos I would.

Any L-00 owners out there with newer models having this same issue?

Bill

Hard to see without pics!

To post photos (easily), join for free Imgur hosting site, load you photos you need to share to Imgur...again, really easy...then you will see some different ways they have to copy each photo to forums etc.

I don’t think anything has flaked or fallen off my 2007 Blues King L-00....

BluesKing777.

I’m an old man who is tech challenged. I will be visiting my son and grandsons tomorrow, they will be able to help me post pictures.

I believe after seeing the photos, most would agree that there is an issue. Whether or not something gets done, I won’t hold my breathe!

3 hours ago, Remmuts said:

I’m an old man who is tech challenged. I will be visiting my son and grandsons tomorrow, they will be able to help me post pictures.

I believe after seeing the photos, most would agree that there is an issue. Whether or not something gets done, I won’t hold my breathe!

This is a Gibson site and they do things the bestest they can, and you are not allowed to say anything negative about them even if their QA is trash and you get a lemon. Even if you have a Gibson and post pics of the horrible QA, many just stay "If that were mine I'd keep it."

This is a Gibson site and most people that come here own and like Gibson acoustic guitars, and they are allowed to say whatever problems they encounter with their guitars. Purchasers of new Gibsons have a warranty. But when you already like something, you will naturally want to discuss any and all issues, but it's probably not going to be a deal breaker.