Gibson Brands Forums

"New" Robert Fripp

SteveFord

In the time period between when he first broke up King Crimson and then reformed it, young Mr. Fripp was doing a tour with some tape recorders, a Les Paul, a ton of electronics and probably a sweater vest.  I understand that he practiced his material in laundrymats to see how it went over (no, I am not kidding).

His demented better half must be burning through the money like crazy as he's started releasing and re-releasing the material on vinyl.

If you like his guitar playing pick them up before they go out of print and the prices go crazy.

19 hours ago, SteveFord said:

In the time period between when he first broke up King Crimson and then reformed it, young Mr. Fripp was doing a tour with some tape recorders, a Les Paul, a ton of electronics and probably a sweater vest.  I understand that he practiced his material in laundrymats to see how it went over (no, I am not kidding).

His demented better half must be burning through the money like crazy as he's started releasing and re-releasing the material on vinyl.

If you like his guitar playing pick them up before they go out of print and the prices go crazy.

Not just re-releasing stuff, but box sets of entire tours he did with KC, and solo stuff with 70 hours of Frippertronics and background noises and tape loops. I can take about one Frippertronics tune and I'm spent. Exposure is all you need from the solo Mr. Fripp. If you want to hear an album of Frippertronics there is Let The Power Fall.  Fripps best stuff is with KC and when he guests on someone's album. 

I just saw the other day Robert and Toyah are going to do a Sunday Lunch Tour in England (you lucky Brits). Robert if you read this forum, please, and I said please, don't bring that c-rap over here the USA, its bad enough on YT. How about bring Adrian, Tony and Bill over to the States, and play a few cuts from those red, blue and yellow albums you made with those guys.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

When Fripp was on the G3 Tour with Via and Satriani. Fripp started playing before the doors opened and when the audience was walking in. Go to about 1:00 and the guy starts talking to Robert.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When Fripp was on the G3 Tour with Via and Satriani. Fripp started playing before the doors opened and when the audience was walking in. Go to about 1:00 and the guy starts talking to Robert.

That interview was painful to watch... 😟

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

But did you see Robert Fripp at a Laundrymat?

Nothing like having a captive audience...

No I did not. The strangest show I was at was Jason Isbell playing at Colonial Downs Race Track, and he had to play before any of the horses started racing and then he got slots in-between races when he could play. 

Over 45 years, Robert Fripp has been extremely active as a recording musician and a producer. He has contributed to more than 700 official releases. The Robert Fripp Discography Summary, compiled by John Relph, also lists 120 compilations and 315 unauthorised releases (such as bootlegs). This means that more than 1100 releases (including both official and unofficial ones, as well as both studio and live recordings) can be found with Robert Fripp participating. A full list can be found at the location provided above. Major releases are listed here (see also King Crimson discography).

I had no idea he was so busy.  

31 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yep I saw that tour - I tried to like his set but it was just too ... Idk. I didn't like it. 

When he is just noodling on the guitar it can get old. I can take about one song  of Frippertronics, and I have had enough.