Gibson Brands Forums

High Humidity?

pumpkin

Hi

Your guitar will change slightly all the time with expansion and compression from heat changes and will need to be RE-set up every now and again, But the wood used to make these guitars is carefully treated before it is made into a guitar and is protected as much as possible against humid or dry conditions and is protected buy the lacquer too.

perhaps some one with a greater knowledge than me can back this up or modify it accordingly.

thank you very much. i appreciate your help.

when i said we have high humidity in out house, its really bad... for example, i had a ton of photos in photboxes (like shoeboxes) in my closet & one day i went to move them & the boxes were damp and the pictures were starting to stick together. i caught it just in time.

Well, yeah...that's pretty "humid!" No air-conditioning to counteract that? ;>) You may have to make slight TR adjustments,

now and then, to adjust for changes in the neck....depending on the action height you like. If you like it really low, you

might have to adjust more? Temp and humidity can cause those changes. But, as was mentioned, if you're quite comfortable, you shouldn't have much, if any, trouble with your guitar.

CB

Well' date=' yeah...that's pretty "humid!" No air-conditioning to counteract that? ;>) You may have to make slight TR adjustments,

now and then, to adjust for changes in the neck....depending on the action height you like. If you like it really low, you

might have to adjust more? Temp and humidity can cause those changes. But, as was mentioned, if you're quite comfortable, you shouldn't have much, if any, trouble with your guitar.

CB[/quote']

oh YES!!!! we have to have air conditioning!!! its 100* in the summer & about 40* in the winter.

our house is over 50 years old & has the original single pane windows which during the winter i have to wipe down daily because of the condensation. its very chilly & drafty in here.

its very strange because when you think humidity, you think heat.

why oh why did i HAVE to have this house??? it has tons of charm & i put lots of blood sweat & tears into restoring it to its original state. we will be selling in about a year, but i do have concerns about the guitar now.

again... thank you so much. yall are so helpful!

lol... nope, its his (although i do love looking at it & listening to him play) as for joining the forum, i dont know. he works tons of hours & i do read some the replies to him sometimes. he told me to ask yall this because he picked it up the other day & it felt *damp*. i didnt feel it when i touched it though. (he could just be paranoid)

its nice to have yall to answer my questions & be informed so i can have an intelligent discussion with him. i really had no idea what the difference wass between a Burstbucker & a Dustbuster was until recently!

lol... nope' date=' its his (although i do love looking at it & listening to him play) as for joining the forum, i dont know. he works tons of hours & i do read some the replies to him sometimes. he told me to ask yall this because he picked it up the other day & it felt *damp*. i didnt feel it when i touched it though. (he could just be paranoid)

its nice to have yall to answer my questions & be informed so i can have an intelligent discussion with him. i[b'] really had no idea what the difference wass between a Burstbucker & a Dustbuster was until recently![/b]

LOL!!! Good one Pumpkin! :-k :D

It's recommended to keep your guitar in a room with a humidity level of between 45-55%. I went through a period of being rather paranoid about it, so I purchased a humidifier and gauge to keep things in line. While it worked at keeping the humidity level up, I really hated having the humidifier laying a mist around the apartment. Since I've unplugged it, I've gone down to a humidity level of anywhere between 23-33% - I haven't noticed any change at all despite pretty large swings in humidity level. Also, I will say that even before I went through the whole paranoid bit, I never noticed any changes other than regular maintenance care. I think the advice about if you are comfortable, your guitar will be too, is right on spot.

i'd be careful with the humidity cuz it will affect your husbands guitar. yea i have the same type of house with the original windows that are terrible insulators. i guess keep it in the room with the most consistent temp? haha i dont know. or turn down the AC lol

oh YES!!!! we have to have air conditioning!!! its 100* in the summer & about 40* in the winter.

our house is over 50 years old & has the original single pane windows which during the winter i have to wipe down daily because of the condensation. its very chilly & drafty in here.

its very strange because when you think humidity' date=' you think heat.

why oh why did i HAVE to have this house??? it has tons of charm & i put lots of blood sweat & tears into restoring it to its original state. we will be selling in about a year, but i do have concerns about the guitar now.

again... thank you so much. yall are so helpful![/quote']

Yeah, I was just teasing you, a bit. But, for his guitar to actually feel "Damp," is interesting. I live in Kansas,

and it can be quite humid here, especially in the Summer...and also quite hot...so temps here, would be in the

same range, as you experience. But, I've never had any of my guitars feel "damp." Northern or Southern

"East Texas?" Are you near the gulf coast? Do you get heavy on-shore breezes, or marine layers? That may account for it, or some of it, anyway? Might want to watch for "mold or mildew" too, in the case...especially in

the corner/edge areas of the interior. Silica gel (in the case) will help, too.

CB

one more thing... i was considering putting some of those silica packets (ya know... the *Do Not Eat* packets that come in new shoe boxes) in the case. whatcha think?

Well if it's good enough for Taylor guitars it's got to be good enough for electrics (see here).

I also lived in East Texas for a few years and I didn't take care of my Sonex at all (I don't even think I opened the case down there). When I did I saw that the guitar was a mess (too painful to talk about) and I spent a few months getting it back in shape. But in general I think that if you give your guitar a "tune up" every six months, then you'll be fine.

Does anyone know what Billy Gibbons does with Pearly Gates? I think he lives near Kemah (I may be wrong though).

here is me & Mr Pumpkin:

4bd64033.jpg

He's CUTE!

=D>

15 years I spent in Houston was never a problem for my guitars.

If it's in the case, the silica pacs will hurt nothing if you throw a couple into the space by the headstock.

I never bothered, because they quickly get saturated.

Keeping the guitar clean will help more than anything.

Same as a dirty window, you notice moisture really condenses there because it has something to adhere to.

If he had an acoustic I might worry, but a LP is pretty tough.

The hardware will tarnish and rust if it's not kept clean - screws in the pickup covers and such.

I DID see a few guitars, including my first LP, with mold growing on them from being cased up and forgotten in a closet.

Came off the guitar finish okay, but was still in the case fur when I sold it.

Just don't subject it to temp swings and you're good.

Archived