Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the 2018 LP Special Double Cut?

rudderless

Considering picking this guitar up, bit of a tossup between that, a new LP Special, or a new LP Classic. I've heard some conflicting reviews on the 2018 DC model, just wondering if anyone here has experience with the guitar. Good purchase? Cheers everyone

On 7/17/2022 at 7:22 AM, SteveFord said:

I know it's not on your list but of your picks I'd look at a 2019 or later Les Paul Standard.

I have a Classic and an older single cutaway Special, the Standard is real step up the ladder.

I know the Standard is a more premium guitar but it's just a bit out of my price range, if I could spend that much I'd just go with a 335 tbh. Plus I'm personally not a huge fan of the colour options/flame tops on the Standards and I feel like the weight relief and coil tapping on the Classics would be very useful for myself, not to mention I'm a sucker for that Harrison-esque cherry colour option lol

On 7/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, kidblast said:

subjective choice for sure.

The double cuts lack the separate tone and volume, for me, deal breaker.

When it comes to Les Pauls, I go with a standard, all day, every day.  that's me,...

Oh I didn't know the DCs don't have separate tone and volume, the model I was looking at has four knobs so I figured it would have that feature

It sounds like the Classic, then.  

They're nice guitars with really fast necks.

No matter what shape the model is they made a ton of variations to them: carved top, slab top, P90s, humbuckers, one knob, four knobs, you get the idea.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rudderless said:

Oh I didn't know the DCs don't have separate tone and volume, the model I was looking at has four knobs so I figured it would have that feature

oh!   Maybe they changed that,  to be honest, I didn't double check what the "newish" ones are set like.. 

One of my friends had 2 of them going back a few years,  both only had master tone/master volume

if the one you're sighting down doesn't have that,  that's excellent. 

• 2 weeks later...