Gibson Brands Forums

The good, the bad and the Jonas Bros.

fortyearspickn

While I think the Jonas Brothers are pretty lame in regards to their music, I have to give them props for a) playing their own instruments, :) getting young people interested in music (nothing wrong with that) and c) playing Gibsons and getting said youngsters who may be interested in music possibly interested in Gibsons.

While I think the Jonas Brothers are pretty lame in regards to their music' date=' I have to give them props for a) playing their own instruments, :) getting young people interested in music (nothing wrong with that) and c) playing Gibsons and getting said youngsters who may be interested in music possibly interested in Gibsons. [/quote']

Even if that did happen (sincerely doubt it) if I ever asked a guitar player what got him interested in the guitar, and he told me it was the freaking Jonas Brothers, I would probably lose hope for the future of music AND guitar playing

Even if that did happen (sincerely doubt it) if I ever asked a guitar player what got him interested in the guitar' date=' and he told me it was the freaking [i']Jonas Brothers[/i], I would probably lose hope for the future of music AND guitar playing

haha, you're right, *if* it were true I doubt anybody would admit it. But, someone's buying up that stuff cause they're selling out everywhere they go.

We often extol the virtues of those recognizable performers with the good taste to validate our choice in guitars. But I thought I'd barf when I saw a picture of 2 of the Jonas Brothers "playing" Doves. Just doesn't seem right somehow.

How so? They've been playing Gibson solid bodies for a long time. Can't a man expand his repertoire?

They're just kids playing music for other kids. I've seen them once, on Saturday Night Live, didn't do anything for me, but I'm not 14 yrs. old. Even major league baseball players were in Little League at one time. I say leave 'em alone and let 'em play. I have my own music to listen to. Amen and 2 cents.

They're just kids playing music for other kids. I've seen them once' date=' on Saturday Night Live, didn't do anything for me, but I'm not 14 yrs. old. Even major league baseball players were in Little League at one time. I say leave 'em alone and let 'em play. I have my own music to listen to. Amen and 2 cents.[/quote']

I'm 15.

i think that they're one of the "rock"-destroyer bands of today. ( "rock" because today's rock isn't the real *****n rock of AC/DCs one ecc)

I love all historic groups, such as Led Zep,AC/DC, Metallica,The Who,Dire Straits and so , but those kids cannot play the guitar with emotions, but just for money

They're just kids playing music for other kids. I've seen them once' date=' on Saturday Night Live, didn't do anything for me, but I'm not 14 yrs. old. Even major league baseball players were in Little League at one time. I say leave 'em alone and let 'em play. I have my own music to listen to. Amen and 2 cents.[/quote']

Well said TW. Rock and roll existed before AC and DC were out of diapers. And it wasn't AC/DC rock either. And before there was Rock and Roll, it was called Country and Western... which aint' what it was when R&R, whatever that is, split off of C&W... whatever that is. Let the kids find their own way without judgment so that we can become old and in the way.

Can't be too down on these guys. I see a lot of kids playing "guitar hero" and used to think, well, maybe that'll get 'em interested in really learning to play. After observing this phenomenon for a while, it seems about as likely as all those kids playing "grand theft auto" turning out to be car thieves. Or maybe that's a bad analogy... The future guitar players have to find motivation/inspiration somewhere, and if it's from a group of telegenic kids in a band, who can play their instruments, don't need to lip sync, etc. then I think it's a great thing. I'd hate to think that guitars would go the way of the ukelele or the banjo and become a niche instrument for waning interest from the younger folks. Count me as a Jonas Brothers fan if for no other reason....

The hate for the Jonas Bros, and Hannah/Miley on this forum makes me want to puke.

I have a 9 year old daughter who was taking fiddle lessons at 5 years old. And vocal lessons. Then some piano.

Hannah/Miley came along and she wanted to play guitar. I bought her a cheap 3/4 acoustic, gave her some lessons, she was getting it, so I bought her a new '08 Les Paul Fireburst Studio for her 9th Birthday. She has played solo for a Christmas show with it, and opened (one song) with my working bar band in a club.

The Beatles were a pop band, the Monkees, sheeze, give me a break.

IT'S A GOOD THING FOR KIDS TO LIKE POP MUSIC..........................

It's not rap, hip hop, kill yer mama garbage.

I swear to God, I don't get the hate for young kids having pop star dreams.

I would prefer my 9 year old listen to the Jonas Bros, and Miley, than AC/DC. For a few more years.

Where is your head?

Murph.

Can't say I've even heard a song of there's but I have to defend them. However bad, at least they are musicians and don't sing the song the producer gives them to sing over computer generated noises called music a'la Britney, Justin, and the Hip Hop Gang who talk about music yet use little to no instruments in the making of said "music."

Whether you like them or not guys with guitars are cool!

Hey, that makes me cool!

Great discussion. Can't say I understand the need to hate these guys. The Jonas Brothers enjoy making music and playing Gibson guitars. Period. What's the problem? So do I. If you prefer ACDC that's your own issue, at least both bands are honest musicians and not relying on voice overs and sampling, etc. Like Todd said, it's a far cry from people like Brittany Spears, Marilyn Manson, and gangsta rappers who would rather see everyone join them in their nilistic pursuit of moral, spiritual, and physical pain and sufferring. Let the boys rock out on their Gibsons and leave 'em be. Now, someone pass me an Emmyolu Harris cd...

Whilst, I agree 100% that there is NO need to hate the JB's (although if anyone follows news/current affairs, you'll understand that there publicity and marketing has been some what dodgy to say the least), there is a need for money in the music industry to be distributed to acts with longevity and originality. Whether the Jonas Brothers fit this bill remains to be seen, but I personally can name 1000's of acts more damaging to the eardrums, and kind of see them as a Kings of Leon for a younger audience.

If they promote learning to play an instrument, and inspire young kids to get of the couch and get involved, then that's really great. On a deeper level, there not really doing anything special for the current musical scene, but I for one would be a little worried if my 10 year old daughter (I don't actually have a ten year old daughter) was listening to King Crimson, Bert Jansch and Creedence. I didn't start developing my musical taste until my mid/late teens, and my first album purchase was name of the beast by Iron Maiden (just because I liked the cover) followed by some Cajun Folk music compilation (because it was all I could afford with my record token).

Bottom line for me, nothing wrong with the Jonas Brothers per say, but I really wish they weren't pushing that whole no sex before marriage promise bracelet thing, and at the same time, being marketed as sex symbols to young girls.

Well, I don't know how much they are considered sex symbols. Sure, girls go nuts for them, but at least their music isn't about having teenage sex and "giving everything away" before they are ready. Girlilicious just came through out town two weeks ago. Now, if you want to talk about bad music and bad morals... Away, this will be my last post on the subject, but let the boys play I say. As for their music, it's not going to be my choice, but I'd certainly rather see teens listen to them than a whole lot of other bands who are trying to be "deeper" or more "progressive" than they really are. The JBs play authentic music for them. If you can't relate to it, don't. I can't relate to Ani DeFranco, but I don't bash her. I simply don't listen to her.

If the root of the hatred is their emphasis on abstinance, then those who hate them are truely sad. Girls and boys who like to watch them, get a positive message. A lot of the other cr-ap they call music, that is being foist upon our kids today, at a younger and younger age preach the antithesis of abstinance. Kids need to be kids longer than the media gurus want them to be.

Some call it selling sex symbols. I think they are presenting three brothers who have a high sense of morality. The girls love them.. Your daughter, maybe. Girls, WILL, become interested in boys at some point and boys interested in girls. I think I'd rather see them interested in a Jonas type of boy than a Billy Ray type of boy.

My beef with Milie Cyrus is her dad's marketing plan. In order to shake her 'Hannah Montana' image of sweet girl down the street, he had the brain storm to have her photographed half nekked. To add injury to insult, he got into the pic as well. Claimed he didn't know it was going to turn out like that. Sheesh! Gimme a break! How long you been in this business Bill? It was all staged by him. But... she is of age, so if she wants to get half nekked with a half nekked man, I guess she ain't jail bait any more... Eh Billy? :)

Joe, Kevin and Nick, if'n you check in here. There are plenty out there, who hate you, and what you stand for that want to see you fall, and plenty out there out to help you fall. Keep fighting the good fight, keep running the good race. There' s too much at stake to let the Evil One get the better of you. I for one am, praying for you three.

Rock on Jonas Brothers rock on!

Get thyself a grip! My only point was that they are bubble gum entertainers who their manager felt would look more impressive with Dove's, hence more movie ticket sales and money. I cannot take light entertainers seriously just because they use "props". I could care less if part of their 'package' includes religious self righteousness. I also sincerely doubt that anyone who is so vapid as to want to imitate them will take the time to learn to play an acoustic guitar well. More like a Guitar Hero.

How a couple of you managed to extrapolate what was written here into "hate" is beyond me. I barf when I have too much beer, but I don't hate it. I doubt any one here hates the Jonas Brothers. Some of us may not respect their art. And, I guess if you want to call that 'hate', go for it.

This thread has turned into a Jonas Brothers fan fest. I'm happy that you like them Tommy, and if you read my post, you'd fully see that I have no problem with anyone who does. I personally think that there music/evangelical purity ring ideology is a load of rubbish (virgins my arse), but then I'm fully entitled to that opinion.

It's pop music for kids.

Just like The Monkees.

Who cares?

My point is, it makes kids want to play guitar. It does.

So it's good.

If you are jealous of them having a Dove, and being famous, and selling out concerts, YOU have a problem.

If it's not rap, and not about killing people, slappin' da ho, ect, I'm good with it. It's bubblegum just like it was with the 1910 Fruitgum Co.

Sheeze.

Murph.

its an insult top real musicians who spend their who lives perfecting the beautiful art that we call music. they come in with their rich daddies and commertailism and slap us in the face. same with hannah montana and that kind of stuff boys like girls etc (again i state what kind of a name is that?)

Archived