Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on this 335

Tim Plains

I'm thinking about it checking this one out. I haven't actually seen the guitar in person yet. I planned on buying a '57 Les Paul Custom VOS this year. If I get this, the LP is out. What do you think? 1989 Lucille. The seller is asking $2,000 Canadian. That's about $1,600 US with todays exchange rate. Says it's mint with no mods.

Lucille.jpg

Nicks and dings, I don't care about. It's 20 years old. Mint condition to me means no repairs, mods, pickups don't cut out, and hopefully it doesn't need a refret.

Guitarman, I totally agree with you about the artist model. The only reason I would want this guitar is for that little six-way switch. Heck, the only reason I want a '57 Custom is because the top is mahogany and gives the guitar a warmer sound.

Regarding refrets, I personally don't get hung up on them unless you are buying something as purely a collector and then don't play it:). Refret is similar to saying you need to change your tires. If you play a lot, your frets will wear. Sometimes new frets are better than old, uneven frets.

Wasn't BB's guitar a solid top? He used to stuff socks in the sounds hole because he didn't like the feedback on Lucille. Crying shame IMO.

Are Nine:

I'm sure it is a great guitar, but it will not sound exactly like a straight ES-335 of the same year, because it isn't such. Not saying better or worse, just won't be the same sound. Good luck on your decision.

this is just opinon but im not very supportive of the idea of an artist guitar i love b's sound but i think a guitar with a much wider range of sounds like the paul which isnt designed for one sound is a better idea

Huh?

The LP has two pickups.

This guitar has two pickups. And a varitone for more sounds.

This guitar isn't limited to one sound. Where'd you come up with THAT?

No way' date=' I'd never cut a giant hole out of a guitar. Only if it comes that way from Gibson.

I put Shallers on all my guitars recently and that was emotionally difficult for me. =P~[/quote']

Ain't no giant hole to put in a Varitone, for what that's worth. The plate on top doesn't affect the tone in any significant way, either. Further, a Varitone-equipped guitar sounds like the same guitar without a Varitone in the end position. The Varitone stuff only comes in on the other switch choices.

I have no problems whacking holes in a guitar if it's for a good cause. I'm busy whacking holes in the back of one right now to put in a Fernandes Sustainer and battery box. Two small switches will be all that shows in the front. There's also a hole going on the back so that I can move a volume knob up between the bridge and bridge pickup (cover plates for all in the back, of course). The old hole will have a shiny new killswitch tucked into it, unless I can think of something more creative.

Huh?

The LP has two pickups.

This guitar has two pickups. And a varitone for more sounds.

This guitar isn't limited to one sound. Where'd you come up with THAT?

king's signature guitar was designed with his sound in mind. the les paul maybe was designed for one kind of sound paul's sound but over the years it has proved to be a much more versitile guitar. so it will exel at many things while kings guitar will only at maybe 2 or 3 sounds

I have a similar guitar, the ES-347, with f-holes, though. Most of the hardware is similar, including the TP-6 bridge piece, and ebony fingerboard. The varitone is not on my guitar. The price alone would justify the purchase. I'd get it.

Archived