Gibson Brands Forums

The J29. Am I missing something?

Kwlsky

If I played Taylors I would have no hesitancy buying online.  But when it comes to in particular new Gibsons and some others I would be less inclined to take that leap of faith.  Even though the build process is more automated and precise than anything they could have dreamed of in the past you will still run into differences in feel and sound.  All it might take is one set of hands more radically scalloping the braces or shaving a bit more off the neck then the next.  The differences might only be nuanced but they still can be there.  Based on my just goofing around playing guitars I run across in music shops the first say J45 I try may well be very nice.  But then get to a second one which might have a bit bigger, clearer bass response or a slightly thicker neck that I like better.  By the time I get to the third one I would be kicking myself in the butt if I had bought either of the first two.   

Edited by zombywoof