Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to try to do "Freebird" alone on a 12-String?

DanvillRob

Just now, duluthdan said:

Love it !  Hate the song, but loved hearing you bang it out on a twelver.  Nice harmony pedal - what is it ?

Thanks (I think).

It's a simple TC Helicon Harmonizer.

Run your guitar through it, so it know what key you're in....and select how prominent you want the harmony, then select what harmony you want, (over, under, combos, etc.) - Can also add Reverb.

Not bad at all! I’ve long toyed with learning a verse or two, just to quiet the jerks who think they are being funny by requesting it. (When I lived in Kuwait, the request they always shouted out was “Hotel California.” Seriously.)

I’ve got a buddy who has one of those harmonizer gizmos. Used judiciously, as here, it can add to a solo act.

1 hour ago, dhanners623 said:

Not bad at all! I’ve long toyed with learning a verse or two, just to quiet the jerks who think they are being funny by requesting it. (When I lived in Kuwait, the request they always shouted out was “Hotel California.” Seriously.)

I’ve got a buddy who has one of those harmonizer gizmos. Used judiciously, as here, it can add to a solo act.

The harmonizer can be  tricky.... I actually have two hooked up in series.....gives me more variables on the harmony I want.... one has an "on/off" switch....the other is a 'momentary' switch.

I'm putting an arrangement together of The Maverick's "Back In Your Arms Again".... they add harmony to part of almost every verse.....it could prove tricky!

59 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Great Job !   Yes,  a super guitar.  Looking forward to  "Back In Your Arms"... Mavericks version is a classic! 

FYP, I'll post it when I get it done..... I'm practicing the instrumental part....and let's face it..... if I was working as a lead guitarist, I'd be starving to death!

Plus, the constant in and out of the harmony is tricky....but you're right.....it's a classic Maverick's song.

Trying to sing Raul Malo is much like trying to sing Elvis or Frank, (I won't say Roy Orbison....because NO ONE can sing like him!).

6 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Sweet rendition!  You and the guitar  sound good…….I have enough trouble with six strings.

Thanks, MP.   I used to own an Ovation 12-String..... it was like playing a railroad tie.... when I got the chance to score this 'Bird 12-String, I jumped at it.

It plays like a 6-string.... it's truly the BEST 12-String I've ever had in my hands.

I thank Leslie every day for letting it come live with me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

FYP, I'll post it when I get it done..... I'm practicing the instrumental part....and let's face it..... if I was working as a lead guitarist, I'd be starving to death!

Plus, the constant in and out of the harmony is tricky....but you're right.....it's a classic Maverick's song.

Trying to sing Raul Malo is much like trying to sing Elvis or Frank, (I won't say Roy Orbison....because NO ONE can sing like him!).

Yep.  His  "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down"  is inspiring.   It inspires me to try it about once a month.  Takes a month to get up enough courage to try again ! 

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  His  "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down"  is inspiring.   It inspires me to try it about once a month.  Takes a month to get up enough courage to try again ! 

You made me go listen to "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down" again, (listening to it as I type this!).    A great song....I may put an arrangement together..... I have maybe 5 songs before it to work on.....but I'll put it on the list!

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks, MP.   I used to own an Ovation 12-String..... it was like playing a railroad tie.... when I got the chance to score this 'Bird 12-String, I jumped at it.

It plays like a 6-string.... it's truly the BEST 12-String I've ever had in my hands.

I thank Leslie every day for letting it come live with me.

The backs of Ovations and my belly are not a match for me 😀

35 minutes ago, kwalker201 said:

The backs of Ovations and my belly are not a match for me 😀

Plastic round back guitar, ultimate engineering guitar fail of all time. I know famous people played them. I had one as it was my first acoustic ever. POS. It slides down your leg and won't stay in place. 

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Plastic round back guitar, ultimate engineering guitar fail of all time. I know famous people played them. I had one as it was my first acoustic ever. POS. It slides down your leg and won't stay in place. 

I think the backs were made of the same stuff they made helicopter blades out of.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Friends don’t let friends buy Ovations.

• Like 1