Gibson Brands Forums

Fans of the Epiphone Matsumoku Riviera

Hype

i wish they'd sprung for this to be $1499 or $1299 and made it in terada, especially since the original is a MIJ. this just seems like  a rebranding of the dot pro/riv that's around $700 without a noel signature. Overall im glad this exists but would prob hold off on getting one brand new. 

14 minutes ago, Matt4356 said:

I was surprised by the volute, that was the last thing I expected to see. Very interested to see if is a one peice or scarf joint though.

from the sweetwater product page

Epiphone Noel Gallagher Riviera Semi-hollow Electric Guitar Features:

• Noel Gallagher signature model harkens back to his early Oasis tour guitars
  • Semi-hollow 5-ply maple body yields crisp, even sound with great projection
  • Set 3-piece maple neck is articulate, with tremendous note-separation
  • Neck is assembled with volute to bolster headstock construction
  • Indian laurel fingerboard boasts lively highs with rich overtones
  • 22 frets sprawl a 12-inch radius fingerboard for plenty of tonal possibility
  • Slim “C” neck profile blends comfort with versatility
  • Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers use Alnico V magnets, evenly wound for powerful clarity
  • 2 volume and 2 tone controls are wired alongside a 3-way selector for maximum control in fine-tuning your sound
  • Die-cast tuners, Tune-o-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece, and graphite nut ensure minimal buzz and intonation management

Also gibson tv posted this official video earlier

Edited by cunningham26

2 minutes ago, indiekiduk said:

Hopefully the volute helps against neck cracks. Glad they went with a slim neck vs the old fat necks of the Dot etc. 

Maybe they'll release it in more colours next year, e.g. tobacco sunburst would be nice and even better without the £200 signature premium.

A bone head sig! Now that would be worth it considering he actually still played his out pre cancer.

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

i wish they'd sprung for this to be $1499 or $1299 and made it in terada, especially since the original is a MIJ. this just seems like  a rebranding of the dot pro/riv that's around $700 without a noel signature. Overall im glad this exists but would prob hold off on getting one brand new. 

+1.....looks essentially like a slightly modified version of last year's royal tan / sparkling burgundy Riviera reissue.

Store I went to said their allocated inventory is almost all preordered and it's showing as discontinued on their suppliers system which means they won't be getting any more. I'm beginning to doubt this is a core range guitar and more likely a limited edition. That isn't to say they do a non signature model next like happened with the Supernova->Riviera II.

These preorders will take months to arrive and the signature 355 isn't even due til March.

6 hours ago, indiekiduk said:

Store I went to said their allocated inventory is almost all preordered and it's showing as discontinued on their suppliers system which means they won't be getting any more. I'm beginning to doubt this is a core range guitar and more likely a limited edition. That isn't to say they do a non signature model next like happened with the Supernova->Riviera II.

These preorders will take months to arrive and the signature 355 isn't even due til March.

Damn. Sounds like Noel type guitars are really in demand. They said this wouldn’t be a limited run like the 355. However, having said that, this is the more affordable guitar and there will be a lot of people who missed out on the NG-355 wanting it. So I agree, the Production run may sell out and Epiphone will have to decide on whether to continue to make more, or just let it be. 
Funny how in ‘97 there wasn’t really a huge demand for Noel’s Epiphone Supernova. I guess it’s because it wasn’t a repro of anything Noel used, nor did Noel care about it. He didn’t even use it on stage or on any recordings. There was one pic where it appeared in his rig. But it could’ve been a prop piece..

I still have a few more weeks before I receive my Riviera..

I’m sure of one person who has already received both the 355 & Riviera on the forum..

16 hours ago, Hype said:

Damn. Sounds like Noel type guitars are really in demand. They said this wouldn’t be a limited run like the 355. However, having said that, this is the more affordable guitar and there will be a lot of people who missed out on the NG-355 wanting it. So I agree, the Production run may sell out and Epiphone will have to decide on whether to continue to make more, or just let it be. 
Funny how in ‘97 there wasn’t really a huge demand for Noel’s Epiphone Supernova. I guess it’s because it wasn’t a repro of anything Noel used, nor did Noel care about it. He didn’t even use it on stage or on any recordings. There was one pic where it appeared in his rig. But it could’ve been a prop piece..

I still have a few more weeks before I receive my Riviera..

I’m sure of one person who has already received both the 355 & Riviera on the forum..

Hype have you got the full noel collection at this point?

2 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

Hype have you got the full noel collection at this point?

No. I only liked 3 of his guitars, and only one of them is because of him. And that’s the Matsumoku Riviera. The other 2, the 355 and the Epiphone Frontier (which I don’t have yet) is for aesthetic and spec reasons…

Took delivery of the Riviera last week. A bit different compared to the original, but a really nice guitar nonetheless.
If you are an Oasis fan then I think that you will be really happy with the reissue.

@indiekiduk - Have you secured a pre-order yet? More will be available soon although unfortunately you might need to wait a little bit. 
UK stores I was speaking to said they will be taking a delivery of these each month until at least next spring. 

2 hours ago, AldoMcD1 said:

Took delivery of the Riviera last week. A bit different compared to the original, but a really nice guitar nonetheless.
If you are an Oasis fan then I think that you will be really happy with the reissue.

@indiekiduk - Have you secured a pre-order yet? More will be available soon although unfortunately you might need to wait a little bit. 
UK stores I was speaking to said they will be taking a delivery of these each month until at least next spring. 

Glad UK got priority on those Riviera’s. Thanks for the compare between the original and reissue too..Forgot to ask, is the original still worth the price? Now that people have access to the reissues?

6 hours ago, Hype said:

Glad UK got priority on those Riviera’s. Thanks for the compare between the original and reissue too..Forgot to ask, is the original still worth the price? Now that people have access to the reissues?

That's a good question. I have no idea what the going rate is for these, so guess we will need to see what happens over the coming months once the reissues are more readily available. I think for most people the reissue would be more than enough for them, but then there will always be others who will want an original.

For me personally, I would rather pay the extra for an original in this example. The early 80's Matsumoko Epiphones are superb .

Edited by AldoMcD1

DAAANNNGGGG congrats that's quite the quiver you've got now!

also if you havent got the amp rig already, i recently got the 1991 pedal from funny little boxes- it's meant to do the Pearl Jam tone but is a 2 gain drive tubescreamer into a marshall, so does an amazing job at the Definitely Maybe tone as well. 

Edited by cunningham26

10 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

DAAANNNGGGG congrats that's quite the quiver you've got now!

also if you havent got the amp rig already, i recently got the 1991 pedal from funny little boxes- it's meant to do the Pearl Jam tone but is a 2 gain drive tubescreamer into a marshall, so does an amazing job at the Definitely Maybe tone as well. 

That’s a nice rig setup. Personally though, I’m more of an AC30 type. I got an AC30CC2X (Blues) and an AC30C2 (Greens)..I can get a Marshall type sound off the Greens combined with the JHS Clover (seasoned to taste). But it’s too loud for home..