Gibson Brands Forums

Fans of the Epiphone Matsumoku Riviera

Hype

15 hours ago, Hype said:

That’s a nice rig setup. Personally though, I’m more of an AC30 type. I got an AC30CC2X (Blues) and an AC30C2 (Greens)..I can get a Marshall type sound off the Greens combined with the JHS Clover (seasoned to taste). But it’s too loud for home..

ive got an ac4tv that i keep really clean and use pedals for drives. nice and quiet!

22 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

ive got an ac4tv that i keep really clean and use pedals for drives. nice and quiet!

Yes. That is a nice amp. I use that as my practice amp. No frills, just basic and is best for pedals..Also quite loud for a small amp. Yours the standard white one? Or you get one of those red or blue ones?

On 9/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Hype said:

Yes. That is a nice amp. I use that as my practice amp. No frills, just basic and is best for pedals..Also quite loud for a small amp. Yours the standard white one? Or you get one of those red or blue ones?

Standard white, not the little lunchbox handled ones. totally on the same page- swapped out the tube for something with headroom and basically don't think about it, it just does the job tirelessly. and yes, it does get absolutely loud enough for any little stage ill be doing. 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:01 AM, cunningham26 said:

Standard white, not the little lunchbox handled ones. totally on the same page- swapped out the tube for something with headroom and basically don't think about it, it just does the job tirelessly. and yes, it does get absolutely loud enough for any little stage ill be doing. 

What level you set it at in the house? I don’t normally go past 3 or 4 on the volume..

13 hours ago, Hype said:

What level you set it at in the house? I don’t normally go past 3 or 4 on the volume..

never much higher than noon on the volume knob, if i need louder i flip up to 1 or 4 w on the attenuator knob. keep it '60s clean even with humbucker guitars and let the pedals throw their weight around. i should just switch to a fender or heck a roland 120, but the beatles vibe is too strong with vox.

On 9/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, cunningham26 said:

never much higher than noon on the volume knob, if i need louder i flip up to 1 or 4 w on the attenuator knob. keep it '60s clean even with humbucker guitars and let the pedals throw their weight around. i should just switch to a fender or heck a roland 120, but the beatles vibe is too strong with vox.

Damn you like the noise.

As I said in another thread, I ordered mine.

The shop told me that they expect to receive ten rivieras between October and March, not all at once, and they don't know when the first will be delivered. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Edited by mimmo

5 hours ago, mimmo said:

As I said in another thread, I ordered mine.

The shop told me that they expect to receive ten rivieras between October and March, not all at once, and they don't know when the first will be delivered. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

I’ve seen a few at local shops nearby me..Depending on where you are, they may have more or less supply..They are not flying off shelves here in my area..

4 hours ago, Hype said:

I’ve seen a few at local shops nearby me..Depending on where you are, they may have more or less supply..They are not flying off shelves here in my area..

I am based in Italy and they all sold out before reaching the shops. I am waiting for the second batch to be delivered. Around here a few are on sale, but at prices much higher than in the shops: some people bought these guitars just to flip them, what a shame.

Will post a pic when I get mine!

On 9/28/2022 at 12:30 AM, mimmo said:

I am based in Italy and they all sold out before reaching the shops. I am waiting for the second batch to be delivered. Around here a few are on sale, but at prices much higher than in the shops: some people bought these guitars just to flip them, what a shame.

Will post a pic when I get mine!

Some guy was flipping a NG ES-355 for like $25K at one point in time in Italy..Crazy flippers everywhere. But on a NG Riviera? What were they asking? Double?

On 9/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Hype said:

Some guy was flipping a NG ES-355 for like $25K at one point in time in Italy..Crazy flippers everywhere. But on a NG Riviera? What were they asking? Double?

Yeah flippers have gone crazy, lately... around here I've seen the NG Riviera at 1599, obviously nobody bought it and now it is available at 1299. Still too much, in my book..

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Side by side comparison between an 84 Matsumoku and a 2022 NG. The wood grain really stands out on the 84 and is a deeper wine red. The headstock is noticeably slimmer and the placement of the scratch guard is closer to the cutaway on the 84. The binding also much thicker on the 84 which makes it look like a slimmer guitar from the side. The foil transfer E on the guard vs the black on the 84. Gibson style fret nibs on the 84. "Vol." vs "Volume" pots. 

IMG_2154.JPEG

IMG_2155.JPEG

IMG_2156.JPEG

IMG_2160.JPEG

IMG_2161.JPEG

IMG_2162.JPEG

IMG_2164.JPEG

Edited by johnny1965-330

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 11:08 AM, johnny1965-330 said:

Side by side comparison between an 84 Matsumoku and a 2022 NG. The wood grain really stands out on the 84 and is a deeper wine red. The headstock is noticeably slimmer and the placement of the scratch guard is closer to the cutaway on the 84. The binding also much thicker on the 84 which makes it look like a slimmer guitar from the side. The foil transfer E on the guard vs the black on the 84. Gibson style fret nibs on the 84. "Vol." vs "Volume" pots. 

IMG_2154.JPEG

IMG_2155.JPEG

IMG_2156.JPEG

IMG_2160.JPEG

IMG_2161.JPEG

IMG_2162.JPEG

IMG_2164.JPEG

Nice comparison. My NG Riviera is darker than yours and has better wood grain, though not as good as the original ‘84 like yours. Have you compared your reissue with some of the other reissues? When did you pick up the reissue? Perhaps Epiphone is on the 2nd production run which may differ from the first?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, johnny1965-330 said:

IMG_2154.JPEG

IMG_2155.JPEG

IMG_2156.JPEG

IMG_2160.JPEG

IMG_2161.JPEG

IMG_2162.JPEG

IMG_2164.JPEG

Nice pair. Could you please let me know how the two necks compare? Are different or similar? Thanks.

Check out “The Pedal Show”. Never seen Noel so enthusiastic about talking gear. Even the promos he did on GibsonTV seemed like a bore to him. But he really gets into the weeds in this interview. Even his Epiphone Matsumoku Riviera gets its own section. Had no idea he and Bonehead picked their Rivieras up at “Johnny Roadhouse” in Manchester….

This is a must watch for Noel fans.

• 7 months later...
On 8/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, Matt4356 said:

A bone head sig! Now that would be worth it considering he actually still played his out pre cancer.

Bonehead Riviera Antique Sunburst 2024!

Bonehead Riviera Antique Sunburst 2024.jpg

Only kidding just my poor photoshop skills at work 😉

Edited by indiekiduk

On 1/23/2024 at 6:45 PM, indiekiduk said:

Bonehead Riviera Antique Sunburst 2024!

Bonehead Riviera Antique Sunburst 2024.jpg

Only kidding just my poor photoshop skills at work 😉

Would be nice if they released a Sunburst one..