Gibson Brands Forums

fortyearspickn - Thanks For The Suggestion! All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down Cover - The Mavericks

DanvillRob

50 minutes ago, 62burst said:

ok. you're a nut. And you had too much fun doing this. Especially enjoyable was the short scaled (?) Gibson square lead stuff. With the capo, it tightened things up nicely.

EDIT:   nice shirt.

Yes….was fun!    This is a long-scale guitar.   I put the capo on to put the song in the same key as The Mavericks recorded it in….I didn’t like the way it sounded using an “A” and “E” chord….  40-YP said he was working up to recording it….and made me take a closer listen to it.  

• Thanks 1

Wowsers !  Thanks for the music lesson!!   Great job!  Now I can get to second base with this one. Very faithful to the Mavericks classic:: kept a little of the Tex-Mex in there, which is the flavor that makes it such a fun  'breakup' song.  Thanks for this!

Yeah, I was fortunate for a period of almost 10 years in the middle of my career to be leader of  a TEAM of 18 professionals who really made work fun.  Unfortunately for us  - my boss was a former VP from IBM and didn't think work should be fun, or workers should be productive, innovative, etc.   

Keep it up -  you certainly have what it takes.  Even to be a 'lead player' !       Jim

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wowsers !  Thanks for the music lesson!!   Great job!  Now I can get to second base with this one. Very faithful to the Mavericks classic:: kept a little of the Tex-Mex in there, which is the flavor that makes it such a fun  'breakup' song.  Thanks for this!

Yeah, I was fortunate for a period of almost 10 years in the middle of my career to be leader of  a TEAM of 18 professionals who really made work fun.  Unfortunately for us  - my boss was a former VP from IBM and didn't think work should be fun, or workers should be productive, innovative, etc.   

Keep it up -  you certainly have what it takes.  Even to be a 'lead player' !       Jim

Jim, I used to tell my guys that I had a much better boss than they did!   And it was true!....My boss was the president and CEO of the company.....he was President for over 35 years until his retirement....unheard of in the automotive business.   He and I still meet regularly, (he lives pretty  close to me).   He always let me run my departments they way I wanted...he just expected RESULTS....which we delivered in spades!   When I hired on (he was already President) the company was losing money and was probably worth $30 Million or so... when I retired, (I'm still getting paid based on the value of the company), we're up around $2 Billion!

• Thanks 1

That's how it should work !    If you have a complete hierarchy of 'good people'  top to bottom - the sky's the limit.  Sort of what 'capitalism' is all about.   Unfortunately, I worked in 'Not For Profits'  almost entirely funded by federal and state money - so the model didn't work there.    You were lucky - but you also made your own luck by doing the right thing for those who worked for you and who you worked for.    Good way to go through life in general ! 

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

That's how it should work !    If you have a complete hierarchy of 'good people'  top to bottom - the sky's the limit.  Sort of what 'capitalism' is all about.   Unfortunately, I worked in 'Not For Profits'  almost entirely funded by federal and state money - so the model didn't work there.    You were lucky - but you also made your own luck by doing the right thing for those who worked for you and who you worked for.    Good way to go through life in general ! 

Thanks Jim.....I've lived a blessed life.   Was hard to retire...but I was a month away from being 71.... time to let someone else do it!

On 7/31/2022 at 2:06 PM, 62burst said:

EDIT:   nice shirt.

Hey 62!    Sorry, I missed the edit..... we put on a dog show every year.   We call it "Woofstock"....it's one of the premier dog shows in the US, (and there are hundreds and hundreds of them).   We sell Tee Shirts there, (among other things), and in the dog show world they're highly prized.   I have Tees back to 2008, (first Woofstock).   I do the music for the show, and my wife sells the Tee Shirts.   The shirt in this video is one of this year's shirts.   Below is a  photo of the banners through 2021, (I'm also in charge of the banners).   We try to do themes that relate to both Woodstock and/or  the San Francisco Bay Area Music Scene.

Open photo

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

Nice job on a great song.  Maericks are a great band a  lot of fun .  Saw then twice and once was in the Cavern in TN.

Thanks, I’ve never seen them live.   But, I believe John Thomas worked with Raul Malo on Buddy Holly’s 75th Birthday celebration.