Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1968 J50 ADJ

Dave F

I took a chance on an EBay guitar. The pictures looked horrible, it had been bid on and won a few weeks earlier but reappeared, no one was bidding on it, seller had good rating and offered 30 day return.

I bid $1.52 over starting bid with 2 seconds to go and beat out another bidder.

From the posted pictures it looked a mess. Had a lot of wear and looked like someone stripped it down and over sprayed it.

I got it today. the head stock had definitely been stripped  but that was it, all honest wear on the body. Neck is straight, truss rod works and neck angle is good. Bridge could use a re-glue but with four nuts holding it down, it's not going anywhere. Frets need redressed. Looks like the cracks are naturally secure via the bracing. Looks like the only mods are head stock stripped, added a pickup and removed the pick guard.

Fret board has divots from the cowboy chords but they're not that bad. Bridge plate is a little chewed up.

I strung it up and everything seems good. I like the setup.

My thinking is leave it as is for a while to see if the bridge needs reglued. Then a fret dress, maybe paint the head stock and get a Gibson decal on it, maybe a new pickup,, maybe a pick guard.

First group of pictures are from EBay then at the end are a few I took.

1968 j50 adj 1

1968 j50 adj 2

1968 j50 adj 3

1968 j50 adj 7

1968 j50 adj 8

1968 j50 adj 12

1968 j50 adj 1052266245754_c0d29e9613_b.jpg

52265015047_2804d449eb_b.jpg52266245739_595a8ee63a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Cool (I think).

The reason for the qualifier is I could not get past the 1 9/16" nut on those guitars.  My geezer hands are not as forgiving as they once were.  Then again, my hands are not going to be cradling the neck so who cares,  From the looks of the bridge plate that guitar might also have a Bridge Saver in its future.  While I prefer the wood saddles on the ADJ bridge guitars if you want to go a different route LMI offers a bone saddle for those bridges.

Edited by zombywoof

Very similar to my 1965 J-50, although mine is in better shape. Congratulations on the new guitar (although that is one I would have passed on). 🙂

I like the skinny neck, but not specifically because of the 1-9/16" nut width. I also have a 2020 60's Original J-50 which has the 1-9/16" nut. However these two necks are completely different. The carve is much, much thinner on the 1965 J-50 which makes it easier for me to wrap my hand around. The neck is much fatter on the 2020 60's Original J-50, in spite of the more narrow nut, the neck feels much more like a contemporary J-45.

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Cool (I think).

The reason for the qualifier is I could not get past the 1 9/16" nut on those guitars.  My geezer hands are not as forgiving as they once were.  Then again, my hands are not going to be cradling the neck so who cares,  From the looks of the bridge plate that guitar might also have a Bridge Saver in its future.  While I prefer the wood saddles on the ADJ bridge guitars if you want to go a different route LMI offers a bone saddle for those bridges.

Other than that ...  ?

Cool Find Dave -  if the tone is half as great as the mojo - you have a keeper ! 

The neck is small but I'm use to it. About the same as my '68 Super 400 and the Doves In Flight.

It is in rough shape but I already have plenty of pretty guitars setting around.

I've been wanting to try an adjustable rosewood bridge and the tone is different. The price was good enough to allow me to try it and if I decide to move it, I will not lose anything.

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Cool (I think).

I was thinking about making a bone saddle for it to hear the differences. I plan on making a new rosewood one too.