Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

First time on EB Earthwood PB mediums


olie
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've tried quite a few varieties of string on my J-45 STD and bought these just for the H... of it.

Up here in Canuckville these things are a paltry $10 or so and right out of the gate they have sounded rich and even for the 3 or 4 weeks they've been on.

They seem to fly under the radar but I'd get another set in a minute.

Everybody's sense of what good sound is is different but I'd recommend them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, olie said:

Everybody's sense of what good sound is is different 

 

Ain't that the truth. I never could get along with any Phosphor Bronze. No matter the brand, I always lean towards the 80/20's on my Gibson acoustic guitars. It's okay for the old Gibson mandolin though. Go figure.

Looks like you're all set.

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EB Earthwood PBs are my absolute favorite strings for most of my guitars. They sound so full and creamy, and they ring and ring….   Unfortunately they don’t last long enough for me so I’ve switched to EB’s Everlast and even Paradigm PBs. I hear  a slight reduction in richness, but they last 3 times as long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried them and did't dig em. I like the D'ad XS (the white pack that comes with a sticker) of their coated strings. They last a damn long time and sound good till the end. I used to get maybe a month or month and a half and I need to change strings. These last at least 3 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I tried them and did't dig em. I like the D'ad XS (the white pack that comes with a sticker) of their coated strings. They last a damn long time and sound good till the end. I used to get maybe a month or month and a half and I need to change strings. These last at least 3 months.

I have tried XS's and really liked them, too, but they cost Can. $25 + tax up here so it's a lot of money for an old retired guy.I'm going to see how long these EBs last and do the math.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, olie said:

I have tried XS's and really liked them, too, but they cost Can. $25 + tax up here so it's a lot of money for an old retired guy.I'm going to see how long these EBs last and do the math.

In the US they are $17.99. But they last at least 2x as long, at least for me, as other strings I was using, and I tried tons of brands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve tried lots of Strings for my Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E Solid Top.. Most sound good Acoustic but fail & turn to mud when plugged in when I play with a Band. The best I’ve found are Martin Retro Monel.. Sound great plugged in or unplugged… Whatever works!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve tried lots of Strings for my Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E Solid Top.. Most sound good Acoustic but fail & turn to mud when plugged in when I play with a Band. The best I’ve found are Martin Retro Monel.. Sound great plugged in or unplugged… Whatever works!

I have Monels on my 00-18 right now. I broke a sting a week ago and GC didn't have the XS's. I got the Monels instead. They are not too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve tried lots of Strings for my Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E Solid Top.. Most sound good Acoustic but fail & turn to mud when plugged in when I play with a Band. The best I’ve found are Martin Retro Monel.. Sound great plugged in or unplugged… Whatever works!

"Chacun a son gout" as they say in France - each to his own taste. I tried to like Monels and couldn't despite the fact that they are touted by many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure a certain amount of what we like is subjective..

But, do you think it may have anything to do with certain strings working & sounding better on certain Guitars than others? And if you aren’t playing strictly Acoustic but also play Electric plugged into an Amp? I find the Martin Retro Monels on my J-160E to be a good balance to achieve good Sound unplugged or plugged in…

And I’ve tried just about every String there is from Cheap to ridiculously expensive. USA & Foreign….

I don’t think they sound as good on my Martins oddly enough. Which I am liking Pyramids on…

 

Edited by Larsongs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 String threads do make miss the "good old days" when I could walk into any small town Five & Dime store and get me some strings - as long as they were Black Diamonds.  These days I do not have a ton of loyalty when it comes to what I string my guitars with.   When left to my own devices I go with Newtones, especially the Heritage which I prefer on my older lightly built Gibsons,  Lots of SIT strings around here as they are wound locally, 

Edited by zombywoof
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 5:42 PM, olie said:

Up here in Canuckville these things are a paltry $10 or so and right out of the gate they have sounded rich and even for the 3 or 4 weeks they've been on.

I think the first pack of Earthwoods I ever bought were under 5 bucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...