Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird... after a fashion

merciful-evans

No.  

But I sort of understand...wasn't the current head honcho at Gibson once summat to do with Levis?

It's a bit 'HJ' though.....crystal-encrusted designer SGs ahoy!!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jdgm said:

No.  

But I sort of understand...wasn't the current head honcho at Gibson once summat to do with Levis?

It's a bit 'HJ' though.....crystal-encrusted designer SGs ahoy!!

I had to look up "summat". I love it. I get to learn new words from a different language, that's also called English.

If you wade through all the b.s. verbiage in the article, what is really being said is " We think if we take some clothes and label them "Hummingbird", then some people who have those Gibson guitars will be foolish enough to buy these schmuttahs, and we'll make out like bandits."

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

I was confused about this part:

The Billy Reid x Gibson Hummingbird Collection retails from $68 to $1,498 and will be sold at select Billy Reid retail stores and at the Gibson Garage in Nashville, as well as online at billyreid.com and on gibson.com starting Aug. 23.

Mainly, the part where the range can be oh, just over $70 to a whopping ~$1.5k...  And I didn't even get an idea of "what" is actually being sold - i.e. pictures perhaps... 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I am not going to be interested in this one bit.  Well, Gibson wanted to be a lifestyle brand...  Just seems sort of silly when I ponder this.  Gibson makes guitars, period.  I don't want to wear matching clothes that go with my guitar...  But we do live in today's day and age...  Perhaps someone wants to identify as a Hummingbird?  And a Hummingbird guitar at that... 

Edited by NighthawkChris

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I was confused about this part:

Mainly, the part where the range can be oh, just over $70 to a whopping ~$1.5k...  And I didn't even get an idea of "what" is actually being sold - i.e. pictures perhaps... 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I am not going to be interested in this one bit.  Well, Gibson wanted to be a lifestyle brand...  Just seems sort of silly when I ponder this.  Gibson makes guitars, period.  I don't want to wear matching clothes that go with my guitar...  But we do live in today's day and age...  Perhaps someone wants to identify as a Hummingbird?  And a Hummingbird guitar at that... 

isn’t this kind of thinking. What got Gibson/Norton in trouble?   Next  Nike  will be selling guitars. 

As it's not 23rd yet I think we have to admit there is a little bit of er, pre-judgement in some of these posts including mine perhaps.

Because we're a load of oldies who see Gibson as a guitar (& music related products) company?  Not surprising. 

But suppose they could make clothes as good as their best guitars.   :-k

They'd have to prove it for years first really though.

Read the whole article.    Liked Tasjan's quote - I’ve always used clothing and songwriting as conduits to express the arc of my human experience. So, coming together with Gibson and Billy Reid for this project felt right for me,” 

Rolling Stone has a link to  pics now.  It's the 'leather cafe racer that's  $1498.   I guess the low end - $48 is for the strap or pick accessories?    If I had $1500  'disposable income'  I'd be more inclined to buy a guitar than a leather jacket.    Found the adjacent article on Olympic Skateboarding more relevant - although I did learn that Gibson CEO  James Curleigh's nick name is  "JC'.    Creativity abounds !   Reminds me of a former US President who named his dog  "BO".