Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird... after a fashion

merciful-evans

On 8/26/2022 at 6:49 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the last time I had a sweater on I was 12 or so.

I used to have lots of sweaters. I embodied jersey chic in the late 70s.   My Mum was a brilliant seamstress and knitter.  England is cool and we wear jumpers!!

But anyway....

Edited by jdgm

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

I used to have lots of sweaters. I embodied jersey chic in the late 70s.   My Mum was a brilliant seamstress and knitter.  England is cool and we wear jumpers!!

But anyway....

When I was in the US Navy my shirt on my dress whites and blues  was called a jumper.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

I enjoy the word diversity of US/UK

We call fenders 'bumpers'. I might even write 'Bumper' on the headstock of the partscaster if I ever finish it. 

I have an auto repair manual for my ancient Volvo that was printed in England. They actually have a page dedicated to translations:

SVJNqYv.jpg

This is from another manual. It's one of my favorites or should I say favourites:

iwGEJbO.jpg

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I enjoy the word diversity of US/UK

We call fenders 'bumpers'. I might even write 'Bumper' on the headstock of the partscaster if I ever finish it. 

Its weird that we have different words for some things due to our history. We were colonized by the Brits.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its weird that we have different words for some things due to our history. We were colonized by the Brits.

Chief,

Really no surprise here.

Relatively isolated populations will have a tendency for their language to diverge from those of adjacent populations over time.

The accents and dialects and certain localized word choices found across the U.S. population are prime examples.

RBSinTo

On 9/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was in the US Navy my shirt on my dress whites and blues  was called a jumper.

Yep.  But for the Blues - it was top grade wool and thick.  Warmer than the 'sweaters' they sell now in Old Navy made out of plastic.  And when it was really cold and wet, we'd wear our actual navy blue wool thick sweater under that blue wool jumper.   And then, there was the even thicker pea coat.   I only remember wearing all 3 on a cruise above the Arctic Circle.   None of the above when circling Cuba !   Did they have prohibitions against sweaters in New JERSEY !?  😀

50 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Really no surprise here.

Relatively isolated populations will have a tendency for their language to diverge from those of adjacent populations over time.

The accents and dialects and certain localized word choices found across the U.S. population are prime examples.

RBSinTo

And Australia gets 'honorable mention' !   Barbie,  sheila, crikey ...

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:06 AM, gearbasher said:

I have an auto repair manual for my ancient Volvo that was printed in England. They actually have a page dedicated to translations:

SVJNqYv.jpg

In looking it over I noticed the English use "hood" to mean(in the American) "soft top".  Or at least the roof of the car over the passenger section.  But it seems to me that Americans typically used "hood" to mean the cover of the engine compartment.  In fact, my earliest regular job at Cadillac was to hang "hoods" on a conveyor where they'd  be put together with their reinforcements and spot welded together.   We just called them "hoods" and also remember....

One of the earlier cars' nicest features were their "hood ornaments".  [wink] And where do you suppose THEY were located?

Whitefang

On 9/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  But for the Blues - it was top grade wool and thick.  Warmer than the 'sweaters' they sell now in Old Navy made out of plastic.  And when it was really cold and wet, we'd wear our actual navy blue wool thick sweater under that blue wool jumper.   And then, there was the even thicker pea coat.   I only remember wearing all 3 on a cruise above the Arctic Circle.   None of the above when circling Cuba !   Did they have prohibitions against sweaters in New JERSEY !?  😀

I don't care how much clothes  you have on standing in formation in Great Lakes, Illinois in the winter. The wind off Lake Michigan can cut through 20 layers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Whitefang said:

In looking it over I noticed the English use "hood" to mean(in the American) "soft top".  Or at least the roof of the car over the passenger section.  But it seems to me that Americans typically used "hood" to mean the cover of the engine compartment.  In fact, my earliest regular job at Cadillac was to hang "hoods" on a conveyor where they'd  be put together with their reinforcements and spot welded together.   We just called them "hoods" and also remember....

One of the earlier cars' nicest features were their "hood ornaments".  [wink] And where do you suppose THEY were located?

Whitefang

On the bonnet I imagine [wink]

• Haha 1