Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Book Recommendations

merciful-evans

I have a few. Nothing much about Gibson or Fender specifically. I know many here do though, so what can you recommend to me?

Note: I really don't want a picture book. I want the history. 

I would prefer more info on the makers rather than the artists too. 

Thanks

Edited by merciful-evans

"Fender - The Inside Story" by Forrest White is very good indeed as far as it goes; but there's not much about the 1980s as White and Leo Fender were both long gone by then, and the book ends with Leo's death in 1991.

Edited by jdgm

On 8/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, jdgm said:

"Fender - The Inside Story" by Forrest White is very good indeed as far as it goes; but there's not much about the 1980s as White and Leo Fender were both long gone by then, and the book ends with Leo's death in 1991.

It came today. Got to admire the author's credentials. Only just into 3rd chapter. Just what I needed. Cheers John.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/31/2022 at 9:09 PM, brad1 said:

I thought this was a good book.  Very comprehensive.  [thumbup]

sHWMSWC.jpg?1
There are many good books in general. I liked: Guitar for Dummies by Mark Phillips and John Chapel: This book provides detailed instruction for beginning guitarists, including chords, tablature, and more. I learned to play in college in my dorm with my friends. I even had to find an analytical essay writing service, I used https://ca.edubirdie.com/analytical-essay-writing-service for this. There were times when teachers did not pay attention to this, they might not check homework at all. The last book I read about guitars was "Music Theory for Guitarists" by Tom Collier.

what is this?
I recommend The Guitar Method by Mel Bay: This is a classic book suitable for both beginners and more experienced guitarists. It covers a variety of techniques and playing styles.

Edited by Erin_Jacob

1 hour ago, Erin_Jacob said:

what is this?
I recommend The Guitar Method by Mel Bay: This is a classic book suitable for both beginners and more experienced guitarists. It covers a variety of techniques and playing styles.

I think he's looking for books about the history of guitars and not the technique of playing.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

"The Birth of Loud" by Ian Port is a great look at the historical interaction between Fender and Gibson and how they influenced one another. Excellent read and very informative.

Yes I got that. I reviewed it on here too. Cant recall just where it was now. I enjoyed it without always agreeing with it.

• Like 1