Gibson Brands Forums

More Beatles Remix’s - This Time - Revolver

Sgt. Pepper

When Variety spoke with Martin in the fall of 2021 about the prospects of doing remixes for the pre-’67 albums, he made it sound like he thought the moment was nigh to tackle them, although he said he wasn’t yet underway on work on any of them. “I think we have to do it,” Martin said at the time. “If you take something like ‘Taxman’ from ‘Revolver’ [a track often cited for its bizarre stereo separation], ‘Taxman’ is guitar, bass and drums on one track, and vocals and a sort of shaking and guitar solo (on the right). And it sounds good; they’re amazing recordings, and amazing mixes. You know, we have to look into what technology we can do to make things de-mixed and all this kind of stuff, which I’m looking into. So I’m looking for the technology to do it with, to do something really innovative with ‘Rubber Soul’ and ‘Revolver,’ as opposed to just a remastering job, because it’s been remastered already. So I think we will. I think we also will look at outtakes as well.”
He added then, “I think we’re getting there with technology. I think we are. I’m not doing it at the moment, though, I can tell you that much. But hopefully. So, yeah — watch this space.”
S

I still have my original LP’s of both I bought in the 60’s.. Of course many other versions too.. Cassettes, multiple remasters on CD’s… LOL!

I still favor The Beatles in Mono Collection on CD.. I think that entire Collection is a Masterpiece!

Lucky

I still have my original LP’s of both I bought in the 60’s.. Of course many other versions too.. Cassettes, multiple remasters on CD’s… LOL!

I still favor The Beatles in Mono Collection on CD.. I think that entire Collection is a Masterpiece!

Lucky

Edited by Larsongs

Not sure what happened to my above post? If anyone knows how to fix it, be my guest..

As for the new “Revolver” I’m in… One of the greatest Albums of all time.. Back then the Stereo Mixes could be hit & miss.. Most of the time they were a miss… Drums & Bass on Right side. Guitars & Vocals on the Left side.. Or any combination you can think of.. 

They didn’t sound like a real Performance.. That said, they were evolving from Mono & trying to figure out how to do Stereo Mixes…

They've got it down now… I look forward to hearing this one….

52 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Not sure what happened to my above post? If anyone knows how to fix it, be my guest..

As for the new “Revolver” I’m in… One of the greatest Albums of all time.. Back then the Stereo Mixes could be hit & miss.. Most of the time they were a miss… Drums & Bass on Right side. Guitars & Vocals on the Left side.. Or any combination you can think of.. 

They didn’t sound like a real Performance.. That said, they were evolving from Mono & trying to figure out how to do Stereo Mixes…

They've got it down now… I look forward to hearing this one….

I only have a CD reissue.  Never did get the original vinyl.  But it sounds just fine to me as it is.   I keep my components properly phased and use a good high pass filter set just right.  And I wonder....

How many  buy these remixes because they feel they have to, and how many believe they hear some sort of difference because they believe they're supposed to?

Whitefang

• Like 1

I have my original LP I bought in the 60’s… I have Casettes too. The 8 Tracks unraveled! Plus, a few different Remasters on CD’s..

I can hear major differences on all the different versions..

I think most people just hear the Songs & are good with whatever.. MP3’s & their Car Radios & CD Player..  Which is fine..

Whether it’s a blessing or a curse I’m a Studio Engr. & do a lot of Mixing & Mastering With the Equipment I use I can hear things most people don’t & in some cases can’t hear…

If a Mix isn’t good it really affects my interest in listening to a Song.. A lot of the Mixes from that transitional period from the 60’s & early 70’s Mono to Stereo suffer poor Stereo Mixes. Which is too bad as it really distracts the listening enjoyment of even great Songs….

I’m glad some of these really great Iconic Works are being Re-mixed & Re-Mastered so we can hear how great they really can sound!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I only have a CD reissue.  Never did get the original vinyl.  But it sounds just fine to me as it is.   I keep my components properly phased and use a good high pass filter set just right.  And I wonder....

How many  buy these remixes because they feel they have to, and how many believe they hear some sort of difference because they believe they're supposed to?

Whitefang

I mostly buy them for the out takes, but I do have to say all four Giles Remixed were done extremely well. I rarely listen to the original mixes anymore of those  four albums. It is great to hear how a song evolves from when they wrote, it to the the final master, and everything in between. Just like Zappa. There is so much locked away we will never hear.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Out takes?

Are you referring to what jazz albums referred to as "alternate takes"?  Or the takes where mistakes were made?  That might be a bit interesting, but the rest are wastes of time IMO.  

The only recording I have with something like that is Bob Dylan's BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME on a track called "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream".   And then, me and others couldn't be sure if it was planned or not.  [wink]

Whitefang

There have been 4 Beatles Super Deluxe Sets Giles Remixed (Sgt. Pepper has 4 CD's, The White Album has 7 CD's, Abbey Road had 4 CD's, and Let It Be has 5 CD's) They also have DVD's and Blue Rays which include 5.1 surround sound mix's and an HD version of the album. The ones that were also mastered mono have the mono mix on the DVD and Blue Ray. The extra discs have out takes, and in some case alternate takes. The legendary Glyns John did a totally different mix of Let It Be that is not that great and I can see why The Beatles rejected it for release. So back to out takes. It like the stuff on the Anthology CD's. Works in progress, just backing tracks with no vocals, takes that have mistakes, or the lads cracking up, ect.

You can also buy just the remixed CD or a CD with one extra disc of out takes. The White Album's extra disc has the entire Esher Demo's recored at Georges after they came back form India. Ringo has no sone on the Esher Demo's but I am sure he was there when it was recorded.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have Giles Pepper & Abbey Road Collections… LIB wasn’t my favorite Album so I haven’t added that as yet.. But will get Revolver..  Rubber Soul too when he gets to that one…

As far as Alternate Takes many had no mistakes.. It’s just there was that one Take that had more magic which is why it was chose as “The Take”…

On 8/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, Whitefang said:

Out takes?

Are you referring to what jazz albums referred to as "alternate takes"?  Or the takes where mistakes were made?  That might be a bit interesting, but the rest are wastes of time IMO.  

The only recording I have with something like that is Bob Dylan's BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME on a track called "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream".   And then, me and others couldn't be sure if it was planned or not.  [wink]

Whitefang

That's one of my favorite Dylan records, pre mumbler era.

I saw a video of Dylan playing recently,  I noticed there was a person doing hand language for the deaf,  how ironic the only people who could understand what he was singing were the deaf members of the audience,  but then I realized the interpreter was probably guessing too! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

That's one of my favorite Dylan records, pre mumbler era.

That is hysterical. I say all the time he does nothing but mumbles when he sings, and now I got back up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I get the "mumble" thing.  But I still say that the last few recordings of his sound more like he's "grumbling".    To whit----

More rasp than mumble, I'd say.

Whitefang

He is capable of proper verbal communication,  in the studio anyways,  so the mumbling thing may just be a cover for him because he can't remember the words or he is just tired of singing the same thing over and over again, night after night,.  I like Dylan's writing. He has written great songs,  but since Nashville Skyline it seems other artist cover  his songs better than he does. In the clip you shared he seems to be covering Curtis Stigers 

I have an original mono 'Revolver' LP.  Of course it was also released in stereo and CD issues so far have (presumably) used the stereo master as source. 

There is a lot going on, on most tracks.  Modern digital techniques should enable some further separation of the instrumentation, to a degree.  OTOH it's not broken so doesn't need fixing, and any remixes would have to be audibly spectacular, uncovering hidden instruments etc, and improve the listening experience.  

I got completely fed up with buying Hendrix reissues and remixes after "Voodoo Soup" and "South Saturn Delta".     I am still convinced that CBS intend to release every single grunt and utterance that Miles Davis made in the studio (another new box set this month).   By putting another out-take on it (whatever it is) the record company have sold me the same thing time and time again in the past; or they find another angle or format.   As someone who bought/played all my early records in mono on an old mono player, I am not at all impressed by Dylan/Stones/Beatles/whoever reissues in mono. 

And I also imagine that yes, what is used is a digital copy or derivation of the original 2-track stereo master tape to create the mother/master disc (if they still use a cutting lathe which I imagine they must do).    Certainly this is the case for 99% of vinyl LP issues and reissues you will find in a modern CD and record shop.   I'm not sure how much that matters but record decks these days have USB or other digital output to the amp, and that seems to negate the whole point of having vinyl. 

Please note I am old and still have a good hi-fi stereo system  (I posted about improvements to it earlier this year) so when it comes to vinyl I believe in an all-analog signal path.

It will be interesting to hear the new "Revolver".

Edited by jdgm

2 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I have an original mono 'Revolver' LP.  Of course it was also released in stereo and CD issues will have (presumably) used the stereo master as source. 

There is a lot going on, on most tracks.  Modern digital techniques should enable some further separation of the instrumentation, to a degree.  OTOH it's not broken so doesn't need fixing, and any remixes would have to be audibly spectacular , uncovering hidden instruments etc, and improve the listening experience.  

I got completely fed up with buying Hendrix reissues and remixes after "Voodoo Soup" and "South Saturn Delta".     I am still convinced that CBS intend to release every single grunt and utterance that Miles Davis made in the studio (another new box set this month).   By putting another out-take on it (whatever it is) the record company have sold me the same thing time and time again in the past; or they find another angle or format.   As someone who bought/played all my records in mono on an old mono player, I am not at all impressed by Dylan/Stones/Beatles/whoever reissues in mono. 

And I also imagine that yes, what is used is a digital copy or derivation of the original 2-track stereo master tape to create the mother/master disc (if they still use a cutting lathe which I imagine they must do).    Certainly this is the case for 99% of reissues you will find in a modern CD and record shop.   I'm not sure how much that matters but record decks these days have USB or other digital output to the amp, and that seems to negate the whole point of having vinyl. 

Please note I am old and still have a good hi-fi stereo system  (I posted about improvements to it earlier this year) so when it comes to vinyl I believe in an all-analog signal path.

It will be interesting to hear the new "Revolver".

I think we can have both.. Some Re-Mixes are great, some aren’t.. Just like some of the Records sounded great & some didn’t.. Stereo Mixes in the 60’s were hit & miss.. Particularly on Beatles Records.. Some are unlistenable.. I prefer the Mono versions.. Which could also be Re-Mixed.. Some of the Mono stuff is better left Mono…

I'm sure the old Tapes are Bounced to Pro Tools or Logic. Then Re-Mixed with the best Outboard Gear & Software.. The results can be amazing depending who’s Mixing & the end Goal… 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murph said:

It's Dylan.

He doesn't have to sing...

Who is gonna see Dylan just stand on stage and strum an acoustic guitar? Yes his words have always been his strong point, singing not so much.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Murph said:

He never played a guitar when I saw him a few years ago.

He just stood there and mumbled.

He did play piano and harp a little.

Never spoke a word to the crowd.

It was a great show.

The last time I saw him he was on a Strat for the first song, then keyboards the rest on the night. I think he had a really fancy hat on the whole night. He introduced the band, that was all he said other than mumbling when mumble/singing. All I know is mumble mumble was on drums, mumble mumble on bass, mumble mumble on guitar ect. My wife asked me when he was doing this what he was saying, and I said I think he’s introducing the band.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

He is capable of proper verbal communication,  in the studio anyways,  so the mumbling thing may just be a cover for him because he can't remember the words or he is just tired of singing the same thing over and over again, night after night,.  I like Dylan's writing. He has written great songs,  but since Nashville Skyline it seems other artist cover  his songs better than he does. In the clip you shared he seems to be covering Curtis Stigers 

Not familiar with Stigers.  found some things on the Tube, but not this particular song.  I wonder if you meant "channeling" instead of "covering"?    And actually, other artists have been covering Dylan tunes long before NASHVILLE SKYLINE.

Peter, Paul and Mary--"Blowin' In The Wind"

Cher--"All I Really Want To Do"

The Turtles--"It Ain't Me Babe"

The Byrds--"Mr. Tambourine Man" ,  "Chimes Of Freedom",  "My Back Pages"

To name a few  [wink]

And don't forget, Dylan's eponymous debut album was, except for a couple of tunes, him covering  other's songs.  Like Roy Acuff---

Whitefang