Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday Morning Coming Down-cover

rbpicker

While I was messing around with some recording the other day, I did a quick recording of one of my favorites from Kris Kristofferson.  I really relate to this song as, in a small town where I once lived, Sunday morning sidewalks felt eerily like Kristofferson describes in this song.  This was played on my J45 50s Original…loving this guitar.

I hope you enjoy this, and if you’re tired of seeing/hearing my old mug let me know that too (gently is preferred).  😀
Roger

23 hours ago, rbpicker said:

I hope you enjoy this, and if you’re tired of seeing/hearing my old mug let me know that too (gently is preferred).  😀
Roger

Another great job!

This IS a guitar forum....we should have MORE individual performances!

AND...If folk are tired of seeing your mug, them I'm in deep doo-doo.....I must have 30-40 songs posted on here!

Yessiree! 
Can’t believe our Sal hasn’t heard this one before now. And as great JC’s cover is, I think Kristofferson’s original is the penultimate version.

And this one ain’t half bad, either! It’s just a great, great song. Thanks, Roger! 👍🏻👍🏻 

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

I actually think you voice is too nice for this song.  Scream for a few hours and then smoke a pack or two and try it again 😉 

When JC sang this on his show, Kris was in the audience.

Haha.  You may be on to something, Dave.  Maybe I’ll throw down a little bourbon while I’m at it.  Something from your neck of the woods.

rb

Thanks folks, and I agree that this song is perfect for a coffeehouse environment, Missouripicker.  I’ve done it in that setting and people respond very favorably to the images that the lyrics paint.  Many folks can really identify with songs like these, especially in an intimate setting like you suggested.

Roger

On 8/29/2022 at 12:26 AM, Dave F said:

I actually think you voice is too nice for this song.  Scream for a few hours and then smoke a pack or two and try it again 😉 

When JC sang this on his show, Kris was in the audience.

I don’t know about someone’s voice being “too nice” for a song. You sing with the voice you have. You either sell the song or you don’t. Roger sells it. Our expectations of that song is for a voice like Cash’s (the guy even talked off-key…) or Kristofferson. If somebody with a “nicer” voice, like Glen Campbell, had recorded the song first and made it a hit, that would be how we remember it.

I think Roger’s take on the song is very good. His only crime is not being Johnny Cash and we’re all guilty of that one.

Decades ago, Cisco Houston wrote an essay about how tired he was of self-appointed folk purists complaining that his voice or anybody else’s was too “nice.” He wrote, “Some of our folksong exponents seem to think you have to go way back in the hills and drag out the worst singer in the world before it’s authentic. Just because he’s old and got three arthritic fingers and two strings left on the banjo doesn’t prove anything.”

That noted vocalist, Leo Kottke, once said in an interview that an audience will forgive a wrong note but they won’t forgive an insincere note. The example he cited for the latter was Ethel Merman recording a disco album.

Edited by dhanners623

Johnny Cash belts it out. Grabs you by the ears and  grabs your attention with his powerful voice and stage presence.   Roger's performance, to me,  draws you in and makes it believable.  I think because it is more 'believable'.  And he apparently knows more chords than Johnny Cash.  

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Johnny Cash belts it out. Grabs you by the ears and  grabs your attention with his powerful voice and stage presence.   Roger's performance, to me,  draws you in and makes it believable.  I think because it is more 'believable'.  And he apparently knows more chords than Johnny Cash.  

Most players know more chords than Johnny Cash.... they just don't have the 'chops'.   Cash was also a gifted songwriter.

Wasn’t a knock on Roger, I really like his singing and performances he posts and hopes he keeps them coming . It’s just my opinion that the song as I know it doesn’t fit his voice/style. 

I’m a big Roy Orbison fan. I wouldn’t had liked it if he sang the song. 

Willie’s voice is good for it but I wouldn’t want to listen to him sing a Neil Young song.  
I wouldn’t had liked a Glen Campbell version. 

I think Glen Campbell could’ve done a good job on the song if he’d wanted to. When it comes to “selling” a song, few were better. He was an entertainer and had a great feel for songs. Perhaps the lone exception to that, though, was him turning Jimmy Webb’s slow, melancholy anti-war song, “Galveston,” into a rousing “Let’s all go to war” (in Webb’s words…) song. Of course Campbell’s version became iconic and made Webb rich in the bargain….

He did two albums in the 60a  - acoustic 12 string solo - no singing,   playing 2 dozen traditional folk songs (Cottonfields, etc).  Amazing!  He was a  session player - and those 2 inspired my to get a 12er.   Whoever wrote the song  "Galveston"  probably made more $ off Glen Campbell's iconic version than he did off anyone else cutting it including himself.