Gibson Brands Forums

47’ J45 Value

washburned

Can't really help on this one as since I made that solemn oath no more Gibsons built in the 1930s or 1940s I have not been keeping up with price tags.   Reverb, completed eBay auctions (and others such as Heritage)  and  the VPG would be your best bets although the latter tends to quote values on the high side.    And before anyone asks, I have been an oak when it comes to sticking to my vow.  Surprisingly it has not proven to be a hardship as I have not even been tempted by anything.   I even turned down a 1947 National 1155 (a Gibson J50  without a truss rod) which I had been patiently waiting on to come up for sale locally for a couple of years. 

Also, I am assuming the year of the build of the guitar you are  looking at is based on features as it was common for Gibsons to not have FONs from later in 1945 into maybe early 1948.

Edited by zombywoof

6 hours ago, washburned said:

I

thanks that’s the only one I have seen for comparison. I was thinking that one priced high even for that condition. 

Those Calton cases are $1500 new. So with depreciation, the case kicks it up $1100 -1200? Maybe. And if you have never seen the YT video about them they, and I am not kidding, take a blow torch too, throw it off a roof, and smash into it with a truck. It is all done it one long shot.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Those Calton cases are $1500 new. So with depreciation, the case kicks it up $1100 -1200? Maybe. And if you have never seen the YT video about them they, and I am not kidding, take a blow torch too, throw it off a roof, and smash into it with a truck. It is all done it one long shot.

Those old ones are built tanks and are just about as heavy.  I had one but sold it and got this more modern one.

Calton

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So with that being accounted for what do you think that 47 should go for? 

If you can play it and it sings to you, 7-8K.  If there's a return option, all the better.  If not, and for some reason you don't bond, someone else will.  I don't think I could ever pay that much for a guitar, not being that good a player, but most guitars are great for comparison research on the climb to that special keeper.  I keep playing the game in my price range, stress and all.

I think the concept of our not owning important stuff  is more akin to the Native American Indians who felt they did't own the land.  They respected it probably more than they would have if they thought they owned it.  Probably wouldn't want to buy back Manhattan Island today !!         I accept the fact that someday I will have moved on,  but my 4 instruments will still be here  long after.   And it makes me happy to believe they will give others as much joy as they give me - hopefully my 4 kids !     Most of what we own today is 'disposable' or short-lived.  And the batteries even more so.    Caretaker is a good way of looking at it. 

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hence  that city's motto:   "Keep Austin Weird." 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think the concept of our not owning important stuff  is more akin to the Native American Indians who felt they did't own the land.  They respected it probably more than they would have if they thought they owned it.  Probably wouldn't want to buy back Manhattan Island today !!         I accept the fact that someday I will have moved on,  but my 4 instruments will still be here  long after.   And it makes me happy to believe they will give others as much joy as they give me - hopefully my 4 kids !     Most of what we own today is 'disposable' or short-lived.  And the batteries even more so.    Caretaker is a good way of looking at it. 

Since none of my kids have any interest in the guitar my plan for what happens to them beyond the grave is that whatever my wife does not want will be given away to friends.  But the caretaker thing relates to one guitar and one only.  

22 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

It used to be.

The Beatles used to be together as a band. Stuff changes.

The only weird thing I saw in Austin when I was there, was a guy riding his beach cruiser bicycle totally naked down a major street. Other than that it was like many other places I’ve been.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper