Gibson Brands Forums

What J45 do I have?

ajp1954

I bought a J45 at Guitar Center that I can't find in any search. It's a Rosewood model with ebony finger board and abalone sound hole. The label says custom shop but it doesn't have the features of other customs I've seen. I suppose it's a special GC version that is a cross between a standard and true custom. I included a picture and appreciate any information folks have. It does sound and play great and I'm very happy with the purchase and price. Thanks,

Tony 

J45.jpg

Gibson did quite a few different versions of the Rosewood models.   

I believe it all started with the Celebrity Rosewood in the 80s     

To be honest I have no idea what they called yours. There are  so many different ones with different inlay and herringbone patterns. 

looks Nice though. 

Edited by slimt

If new, you should have gotten a Certificate of Authenticity that would give more info than the label.  Calling would too. The orange label instead of white indicates it is not a 'standard' - so yes, obviously some degree of 'customness' due to the Ebony, Rosewood and Abalone Rosette and fretboard inlays.   I have one similar, koa,  which I absolutely love.  First one I grab.  I think the paperwork calls it a "J45 Custom Koa".    But  "A rose by any other name ..."      Congrats and  Welcome Aboard. 

Thanks for all of your replies. I have to admit it was a bit of an impulse purchase and GC being GC wasn't very accurate in identifying the exact model. I have since learned that it is very likely one of their new rosewood versions with the Richlite fretboard. At first I was a bit dismayed but it plays great and feels exactly like my other guitars with ebony fretboards. I was looking for rosewood Martin since I already have a mahogany guitar and this J45 caught my eye. Its a great player with a big sound and I definitely preferred it to the Martin D28 and 35 they had available. All in all I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks again to all of you for your replies.  

12 minutes ago, ajp1954 said:

Thanks for all of your replies. I have to admit it was a bit of an impulse purchase and GC being GC wasn't very accurate in identifying the exact model. I have since learned that it is very likely one of their new rosewood versions with the Richlite fretboard. At first I was a bit dismayed but it plays great and feels exactly like my other guitars with ebony fretboards. I was looking for rosewood Martin since I already have a mahogany guitar and this J45 caught my eye. Its a great player with a big sound and I definitely preferred it to the Martin D28 and 35 they had available. All in all I am very happy with the purchase. Thanks again to all of you for your replies.  

If it’s got a pressed resin and wood pulp board, it’s from the post-raid era, and before JC was seated on the thrown. There have been about over 40 or 50, J-45 variations, maybe more. Some of the old guard say it’s not a J-45 unless it’s hog back n’ sides.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yes, I have ready many posts asserting a J45 must have mahogany b&s. Personally I'm fine to call it whatever, maybe  call it a J-Ro. I was more concerned about the man made fret board but I'm over it. I have some nice guitars and this holds it own with no problem. It's a fine rosewood dread which was the missing piece for me... until now. 

55 minutes ago, ajp1954 said:

Yes, I have ready many posts asserting a J45 must have mahogany b&s. Personally I'm fine to call it whatever, maybe  call it a J-Ro. I was more concerned about the man made fret board but I'm over it. I have some nice guitars and this holds it own with no problem. It's a fine rosewood dread which was the missing piece for me... until now. 

I've played, but never owned a guitar with a Richlite board. They look like ebony and feel smooth. I guess in 50 years time we will know how they stand up comparably to a RW, Maple, or Ebony board.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Sarcasm"   (sahr-chasm)  a form of humor often resorted to after midnight in comedy clubs .  Requires  Meta certification if used on Internet. 

I'm pretty sure it can be done at all hours of the day. 

It's always after midnight, unless it is exactly midnight.