Gibson Brands Forums

Got Les Paul Pix?

badbluesplayer

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Twang Gang,

How do you like that Les Paul Lite?  It always seemed like an interesting model.

Here's a Les Paul Standard with the 60s neck profile (I think):

LeXH9tR.jpg

nVHupNS.jpg

I had a 60’s neck on the Ebony Classic I had. One of the ones with 1960 etched into the pick guard, and also the one on the Trad Pro II.

Nice p/g sticker.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Twang Gang,

How do you like that Les Paul Lite?  It always seemed like an interesting model.

I don't own it anymore, but it was great.  Very light (about 7 lbs.), and slim with a belly carve so comfortable to play.  Had 490 and 498 pickups so hot sound, it didn't seem to me that it lost any mid range tones due to the slimmer body.  I gigged it for several years and from the audience point of view nobody could tell it wasn't a black beauty custom😜.  When I got it the control configuration was one master tone knob and where the other tone knob should have been was a little toggle switch for coil tapping.  I had it modded to add the normal tone knob and made it a push/pull for the coil tap (switched from black speed knobs to gold top hats).  I got it new at Sam Ash for $1350, so quite inexpensive as well.  I will say one thing though, it was the only Gibson guitar I ever owned that needed repairs after a while.  First the pickup selector switch crapped out and due to the slimmer body, it was not easy to find a replacement.  I was lucky to find a very helpful guy at the Switchcraft factory who sent me the correct one.  Then later (2018) the bridge pickup died and I had to buy a new one from Gibson.  But overall it was still a good experience, all the sound and cool of a LP Custom and a lot easier on the back and shoulder!   Here's the skinny profile:

5AgjfAI.jpg  

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:08 PM, badbluesplayer said:

My new 2022 60's Standard -

ihs0nYK.jpg

Nice looker, but let's hang on a minute.  Didn't you just get a cherry burst LP in the past year or so?  Seems like for a guy who mostly gigs a 335, you're collecting a lot of Lesters.   Apparently the wife doesn't frequent the garage/shop very often 🤩

13 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I don't own it anymore, but it was great.  Very light (about 7 lbs.), and slim with a belly carve so comfortable to play.  Had 490 and 498 pickups so hot sound, it didn't seem to me that it lost any mid range tones due to the slimmer body.  I gigged it for several years and from the audience point of view nobody could tell it wasn't a black beauty custom😜.  When I got it the control configuration was one master tone knob and where the other tone knob should have been was a little toggle switch for coil tapping.  I had it modded to add the normal tone knob and made it a push/pull for the coil tap (switched from black speed knobs to gold top hats).  I got it new at Sam Ash for $1350, so quite inexpensive as well.  I will say one thing though, it was the only Gibson guitar I ever owned that needed repairs after a while.  First the pickup selector switch crapped out and due to the slimmer body, it was not easy to find a replacement.  I was lucky to find a very helpful guy at the Switchcraft factory who sent me the correct one.  Then later (2018) the bridge pickup died and I had to buy a new one from Gibson.  But overall it was still a good experience, all the sound and cool of a LP Custom and a lot easier on the back and shoulder!   Here's the skinny profile:

5AgjfAI.jpg  

Yes, same shape & belly cut on the Less Pluss. I like it lots.

19 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Nice looker, but let's hang on a minute.  Didn't you just get a cherry burst LP in the past year or so?  Seems like for a guy who mostly gigs a 335, you're collecting a lot of Lesters.   Apparently the wife doesn't frequent the garage/shop very often 🤩

I have a 2019 Cherry Burst LP.  I'm selling it.

• 3 weeks later...

@Dub-T-123 thanks for the compliments on the guitar. It’s my favorite looking guitar I have. I like it more than my R9 in this regard. The R9 feels better to play because it’s lighter and “the feel” is “better”, but I’m a sucker for Gibson’s triburst finish haha! Don’t get me wrong, 57 Classics and historical appointments and such… plays top notch, but if I had to pick a player… I got this one a little while back and still looks as good as the day I got it. It isn’t a case queen, but it stays home. 

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

I had one of those...  A Gary Moore one..  I loved everything about it apart from the fat neck profile so sold it on.. But it was awesome...  A model I think Gibson should bring back (and not charge 2k for:rolleyes: ).

mkPVV5C.jpg

Was the grain as lumpy as is looked? I always thought those finishes look like alligator skin.

Just now, Big Bill said:

Was the grain as lumpy as is looked? I always thought those finishes look like alligator skin.

Yes.  That pattern is carved into the wood as such..  Apparently thats what it looks like after the CNC has done its bit and before it gets sanded on a belt sander to get rid of the ridges...  Really was unique and sounded great..  The combination of pickups is something they should do more. The middle position was monstrous.

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yes.  That pattern is carved into the wood as such..  Apparently thats what it looks like after the CNC has done its bit and before it gets sanded on a belt sander to get rid of the ridges...  Really was unique and sounded great..  The combination of pickups is something they should do more. The middle position was monstrous.

If I remember right, they were priced pretty reasonably. I should have picked one up for myself...

6 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

If I remember right, they were priced pretty reasonably. I should have picked one up for myself...

Yeah I think the normal ones were about £650 like the old Faded models, it was that sort of level..  The Gary Moore one for obvious reasons was a bit more expensive. I think it was £850 which is what I sold it on for.. They now go for closer to 2k which is crazy. And thats the thing. If they made them again I doubt they would be under 1k. Probably closer to 1.5k knowing them..  They dont really do the good cheap stuff anymore. Its all too calculated.. Like the DC  Faded Specials they did. Also about £650 new. BUT they were so close to the original deign that I think they thought.. Ok we will redesign those cheap DCs and now if you want this older design you have to buy a custom.  Which is a shame.. They did at least offer some really nice cheaper end guitars under the Henry J era. I almost miss him 😄  (like those awesome USA made Custom Classics)

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1