Gibson Brands Forums

Michelle - The Beatles - MUCH tougher than I expected!

DanvillRob

10 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Are you capo-ing it to your voice. I though they capo-ed it on the 5th fret?

I learned a little bit of it. For 4 dudes who can't read or write music, they used a lot of damn chords. There are no chords on the drums though.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are you capo-ing it to your voice. I though they capo-ed it on the 5th fret?

I learned a little bit of it. For 4 dudes who can't read or write music, they used a lot of damn chords. There are no chords on the drums though.

Yeah....I had to change keys....I know it's a revelation....but I can't sing like Paul!

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah....I had to change keys....I know it's a revelation....but I can't sing like Paul!

If you have heard Paul live recently, Paul can't sing like the younger Paul anymore. He can do the rockers just fine, but the ballads can make you cringe sometimes. I'll cut him some slack as he's 80. At least you can understand the words when he is singing.

• Like 1

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

If you have heard Paul live recently, Paul can't sing like the younger Paul anymore. He can do the rockers just fine, but the ballads can make you cringe sometimes. I'll cut him some slack as he's 80. At least you can understand the words when he is singing.

I wonder at what age Sinatra started sounding like an old man.... I'll be it was no later than when he was 80.

You know Dion can still sing the crap out of a song....he's got to me 80+.

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I recall playing that tune,  I dropped it pretty much because it was never my favorite Beatles tune.  About the only Beatles ditty I will still break out is "Norwegian Wood." I Like using a kazoo to stand in for the sitar.  I am more prone to go with a Stones tune - "Factory Girl," "Prodigal Son", even "Honky Tonk Women."   

As to what were once fabled voices aging there are some singers who I actually like better now. Joan Baez comes to mind.  That purity and clarity her voice possessed is still there but now has a deeper groove to it (if that makes any sense).

10 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I recall playing that tune,  I dropped it pretty much because it was never my favorite Beatles tune.  About the only Beatles ditty I will still break out is "Norwegian Wood." I Like using a kazoo to stand in for the sitar.  I am more prone to go with a Stones tune - "Factory Girl," "Prodigal Son", even "Honky Tonk Women."   

As to what were once fabled voices aging there are some singers who I actually like better now. Joan Baez comes to mind.  That purity and clarity her voice possessed is still there but now has a deeper groove to it (if that makes any sense).

Norwegian Wood?   I may have to look into that song!   

Right now I'm playing with The Hitman Blues Band's "Not My Circus, Not My Monkey"

I simply LOVE Joan Baez.... I only do one of her songs, (Diamonds And Rust), but like you...her voice simply melts me....and I like her finger-picking style too.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Know what you mean. In the country field I felt the same way about Eddy Arnold, Connie Smith and Vince Gill. Aging took an edge off their voice which I like.  There’s one ageless singer I really like to listen to. He’s 77 and sounds great. Con Hunley

12 hours ago, rbpicker said:

Yes, well done.  It’s a tricky tune for sure.

roger

Would be easier with 3 other guys..... I learned to sing playing bass, and that was a little tricky.... but I don't understand guys who can play lead and sing.....I think they're wizards!

Just now, rbpicker said:

I often wondered how Don Henley played the drums and sang at the same time.   I guess that’s why he was an Eagle and I wasn’t.  Well, in addition to the vast difference in talent.  : )

Roger

EXACTLY.... and think of Levon Helm.   I'm sure there are other drummer/lead singers.... I think they made a pact with the devil!

On 9/6/2022 at 5:45 AM, zombywoof said:

ZW, I'm working on "Norwegian Wood".... pretty easy chords....but.... you have to play the main lick all through the verses!   Working on separating my mouth and my hands!

17 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

ZW, I'm working on "Norwegian Wood".... pretty easy chords....but.... you have to play the main lick all through the verses!   Working on separating my mouth and my hands!

The intro to that kicks my a-ss when I go back to relearn it. Beatles stuff is not your basic 3 chord open cowboy chord songs. I think since those guys had no formal music training, that there was no music theory stuff they needed to be concerned about. You can't play that chord is not in the right key. 

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

The intro to that kicks my a-ss when I go back to relearn it. Beatles stuff is not your basic 3 chord open cowboy chord songs. I think since those guys had no formal music training, that there was  no music theory stuff they needed to be concerned about. You can't play that chord is not in the right key. 

Well, they had three GREAT songwriters....all with different styles, but all great.

I used to think Ringo was just a mediocre drummer....but he was PERFECT for the music they did....just steady as it goes.

If you watch videos of The Traveling Willburys, you'll see the George outshines ALL of them on the guitar and his singing is a spot-on as can be, (compared to Dylan, Orbison, Petty and Jeff Lynne)...Quite a line-up of talent!

Norwegian Wood is a Lennon song written about an affair he had... John had a darker side than did Paul, so you can never mistake who wrote which songs.

Paul, it's said, could play a Bach Toccada or a tugboat whistle.

I doubt there will ever be another 4 people of such talent together again.

37 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Well, they had three GREAT songwriters....all with different styles, but all great.

I used to think Ringo was just a mediocre drummer....but he was PERFECT for the music they did....just steady as it goes.

If you watch videos of The Traveling Willburys, you'll see the George outshines ALL of them on the guitar and his singing is a spot-on as can be, (compared to Dylan, Orbison, Petty and Jeff Lynne)...Quite a line-up of talent!

Norwegian Wood is a Lennon song written about an affair he had... John had a darker side than did Paul, so you can never mistake who wrote which songs.

Paul, it's said, could play a Bach Toccada or a tugboat whistle.

I doubt there will ever be another 4 people of such talent together again.

Ringo is not mediocre, he’s just not Neil Peart. No one was. He’s was what they needed in the beginning. Keep the back beat. Once none of them had to worry about girls deafening screams any more Ringo could actually play a nice full or two. The drums on Come Together sound so cool.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I prefer to keep my mouth shut while playing and leave the singing to somebody else.  As I am a fingerpicker though when left to my own devices, I run bass, melody and harmony lines at the same time.  I play "Norwegian Wood" in Drop D tuning and will say play the melody with ascending and descending bass lines along with strumming. To break it up I will then move up the neck and play the melody in thirds while keeping a constant bass going.  While this works great for intros and solos, I need to calm it down when playing with others or else we will be tripping all over one another.  So, I tend to come up with two versions of tunes.  One for when I am playing by my lonesome and another when I am playing with others and in particular when somebody is handling the words.

Just now, zombywoof said:

I prefer to keep my mouth shut while playing and leave the singing to somebody else.  As I am a fingerpicker though when left to my own devices, I run bass, melody and harmony lines at the same time.  I play "Norwegian Wood" in Drop D tuning and will say play the melody with ascending and descending bass lines along with strumming. To break it up I will then move up the neck and play the melody in thirds while keeping a constant bass going.  While this works great for intros and solos, I need to calm it down when playing with others or else we will be tripping all over one another.  So, I tend to come up with two versions of tunes.  One for when I am playing by my lonesome and another when I am playing with others and in particular when somebody is handling the words.

A person certainly plays differently when playing with others than when they're playing alone.

If I didn't sing, there would be no singing.

1 minute ago, zombywoof said:

As John Lennon once said Ringo has the best back beat in the business.

It’s one of the standing jokes in the music industry. And it reportedly came from the mouth of John Lennon himself:

“Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the world… Let’s face it, he wasn’t even the best drummer in The Beatles”

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

A person certainly plays differently when playing with others than when they're playing alone.

If I didn't sing, there would be no singing.

I always wished Ringo didn't sing. And he most certainly is the worst singer in The Beatles. At least he didn't get a song on M M T, Hard Day's Night or L I B

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I always wished Ringo didn't sing. And he most certainly is the worst singer in The Beatles. At least he didn't get a song on M M T, Hard Day's Night or L I B

haha!!  My wifes pandora spins up the live version of "a little help from my friends"    If I have to hear that one more time, no telling what I might have to do.