Gibson Brands Forums

L-50 pre-war? Or?

gbottari

Hi I just picked this up and am trying to get the approximate year and verify the model. It has a flat back and tuners look original as does the rest. Not sure about the case or crown strap. Strings look old, should replace with 12 gauges ???? Thank you!!

Also pictured is my L-00 that needed some bridge replacement, not sure of age.

20220909_122345_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122430_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122402_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122453_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122527_resized_1.jpg

20220909_085817_resized.jpg

20220909_085933_resized.jpg

20220909_090119_resized.jpg

20220909_122232_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122244_resized_1.jpg

20220909_122250_resized_1.jpg

Kluson went to thin plates and riveted gears during the war to conserve metal.  So it’s likely early post-war.  

I can’t tell from the photos. Is the the top mahogany or spruce? The L-48 had a laminated mahogany top, the L-50 a carved solid spruce top, although there may be mahogany-topped versions out there.  

It looks like an L-48 to me.

16 hours ago, Dave F said:

The waffle rivets showed up in '45 and are on some postwar models.

L50 - '46 they went to trapezoid inlays

wartime had wood on tailpiece

The logo shown started in '47

Are you sure it's not an L48? They started in '46

Thank you both for your help, It certainly may be a L48 which is less valuable I would guess. I am not sure about the top wood laminated or not or type .

20220916_133915.jpg

That L00 is a interesting guitar.    The bridge is not original though.     

also is the archtop a L48? Never seen one with a flat back  and printed block gold logo.    ( either the neck was replaced or the logo was changed at some point)  

are there any numbers in those guitars? Neck block or on the back?

Hello slimt , and thank you for responding to my post! when I acquired the L00 the bridge had been butchered the old bridge so a local luthier fabricated one for me and he said it's one of the best playing and sounding l00s that he has ever laid his hands on. I think there might have been a few numbers in it but he also added a d-band pickup so I cannot currently try and recreate those numbers. I searched with flashlights and mirrors and could not find any numbers inside the L48 if that is in fact what it is. it doesn't appear that any screws have been touched anywhere on this guitar.. the neck appears like it has never been disturbed nor has the logo had any modification that I can see. it's a mystery.

2 hours ago, gbottari said:

Hello slimt , and thank you for responding to my post! when I acquired the L00 the bridge had been butchered the old bridge so a local luthier fabricated one for me and he said it's one of the best playing and sounding l00s that he has ever laid his hands on. I think there might have been a few numbers in it but he also added a d-band pickup so I cannot currently try and recreate those numbers. I searched with flashlights and mirrors and could not find any numbers inside the L48 if that is in fact what it is. it doesn't appear that any screws have been touched anywhere on this guitar.. the neck appears like it has never been disturbed nor has the logo had any modification that I can see. it's a mystery.

Is the top a x brace or ladder?   There pretty nice guitars.