Gibson Brands Forums

Injuries and Having to Cancel Gigs

P.L.E.

A few weeks ago, my (now ex-) bandmates and I decided to disband because of a petty argument we had one night that began during an episode of Family Guy. The debate began over whom the winner of a wierd face-hot body contest would be -- Sarah Jessica Parker or Kirsten Dunst (that's another post for another time!) -- and ended up intensifying (is that a word? I like it) an already uncomfortable atmosphere.

So, after a couple of weeks of playing and dueting Johnny Cash covers and gospel tunes at local nursing homes with my gal playing the role of June Carter, I started goofing off with some buddies from church and we decided to get together and jam. Things came together pretty much instantly.

On Thursday I had a mandatory basketball practice and workout. During a meaningless scrimmage, I lost my balance going up for a rebound and came down on my side. Though there was some slight tenderness and loss of mobility, I continued to play in the scrimmage and participate in conditioning drills. After practice, my hip had a swollen not the size of a baseball. I iced it down all night and stayed off it. When I tried to stand yesterday morning and couldn't bring myself up, I knew it was serious. I couldn't drive with my lower half the way it was so I had my madre drive me to the hospital to get checked out. X-rays came back -- broken hip.

Not only did this put me on the sideline for summer basketball, it's also going to keep me from playing on one of the top 18-U baseball programs in the state. And, possibly the most disheartening to me, force the guys and me to cancel our upcoming gigs. We play alot of the Clash, Cream, and the Who (along with a little more 70's punk stuff, i.e. Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Oh, and some CCR for good measure) with some original stuff thrown in the mix. Thus, making playing in a wheelchair a non-option. No one wants to see a band rocking "Should I Stay or Should I Go" or "My Generation" stationary and staring at their feet (or wheels). Breaking it to the guys is going to be the hardest part.

So, have any of you guys a had any physical setbacks to your playing or gigging?

Yeah I got band from a bar we were slatted to play. Knocked the band out of a months steady work. Always know who you work for before you punch them out. And on the other hand You better be ready to eat a lot of CROW when going to work for a over opinionated fool, who thinks just because you are doing a couple shows you have to kiss his little man and take the guff. Sorry never aquired the taste of CROW. Well if I had to do it over again, What would I change? Besides breaking his nose, I should have caved in his goneds with my foot real quick before the Bouncers got to me. Oh well maybe next time. :-k

So many over 25 years. But by far the largest was canceling a tour because I was stabbed. The band canceled no one thought I would live. A few days went by and I came around and still wanted to go. (Demerol is a hell of a drug) Obviously we didn't go.

So many over 25 years. But by far the largest was canceling a tour because I was stabbed. The band canceled no one thought I would live. A few days went by and I came around and still wanted to go. (Demerol is a hell of a drug) Obviously we didn't go.

Yikes! I guess having to live through playing one night when I had pneumonia pales in comparison...

Got into a fight with a guy that wanted to stick a 7 inch kitchen knife in me (At work) and I took him so hard to the floor that I broke two ribs doing it. I was meant to go Sailing that weekend to France.... I couldnt even sit without being in agony let alone playing guitar...

Flight959

A few weeks ago' date=' my (now ex-) bandmates and I decided to disband because of a petty argument we had one night that began during an episode of Family Guy. The debate began over whom the winner of a wierd face-hot body contest would be -- Sarah Jessica Parker or Kirsten Dunst (that's another post for another time!) -- and ended up intensifying (is that a word? I like it) an already uncomfortable atmosphere.

So, after a couple of weeks of playing and dueting Johnny Cash covers and gospel tunes at local nursing homes with my gal playing the role of June Carter, I started goofing off with some buddies from church and we decided to get together and jam. Things came together pretty much instantly.

On Thursday I had a mandatory basketball practice and workout. During a meaningless scrimmage, I lost my balance going up for a rebound and came down on my side. Though there was some slight tenderness and loss of mobility, I continued to play in the scrimmage and participate in conditioning drills. After practice, my hip had a swollen not the size of a baseball. I iced it down all night and stayed off it. When I tried to stand yesterday morning and couldn't bring myself up, I knew it was serious. I couldn't drive with my lower half the way it was so I had my madre drive me to the hospital to get checked out. X-rays came back -- broken hip.

Not only did this put me on the sideline for summer basketball, it's also going to keep me from playing on one of the top 18-U baseball programs in the state. And, possibly the most disheartening to me, force the guys and me to cancel our upcoming gigs. We play alot of the Clash, Cream, and the Who (along with a little more 70's punk stuff, i.e. Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Oh, and some CCR for good measure) with some original stuff thrown in the mix. Thus, making playing in a wheelchair a non-option. No one wants to see a band rocking "Should I Stay or Should I Go" or "My Generation" stationary and staring at their feet (or wheels). Breaking it to the guys is going to be the hardest part.

So, have any of you guys a had any physical setbacks to your playing or gigging?[/quote'] Kirsten Dunst has a weird face? No way. She is hot

Archived