Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 126 T

flamestripes

Hello,

Looking for expertise.

Attached are some pictures of my guitar for the past 42 years.

From the model number it seems to be a ES 126 T, very close to the ES 125 TD but a few details differ.

Any one has any information on this ES 126 T ?

It's very clear the model number on the second picture

What is the meaning of the D or O after the model number?

I never found a clue on browsing internet

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2034679343_GibsonES126TD-grand.thumb.jpg.7aba4a6ce3b7d49b93b37b83444018c3.jpg1942498579_GibsonES126TD(2)-grand.thumb.JPG.25f6e1d2299905b7eed4cb2e001768e4.JPG

I never heard of an ES 126. Web search brings up nothing. The "T" stands for thin body. A "D" stands for double pickups. I have no idea what the "O" stands for.

I had a '57 ES 125 and the stamp looked different. Yours' almost looks hand done. Mine looked more like this one:

1964-gibson-es-125td-36.jpg

BTW: TCD means Thin, Cutaway, Double pickup.

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

Looking at Tom Wheeler's 'American Guitars' pp 132-135;  no mention at all of 126 although it lists 7 or 8  ES-125 variations over the years...maybe you already know this.

The fact that your model no. is handwritten (or stencilled?) makes me wonder.  Have you any more pics? Headstock front and back?

We have some very knowledgeable folks in the acoustic section of this forum so you might want to post there too.

Perhaps @ksdaddy or even @JimR56  may have some knowledge....:-k

Edited by jdgm

It's quite plain to see that the model number was written with a pen. Maybe the original stamping was faint and someone tried to "fix" it but didn't have a clue as to what the guitar was.

The guitar pictured is either and ES-125D or an ES-125TD. I can't tell if it's a thick or thin body in the pic. It was made 1955 or later (20 frets) and the bridge and tuners are not original.

1 minute ago, ksdaddy said:

It's quite plain to see that the model number was written with a pen. Maybe the original stamping was faint and someone tried to "fix" it but didn't have a clue as to what the guitar was.

The guitar pictured is either and ES-125D or an ES-125TD. I can't tell if it's a thick or thin body in the pic. It was made 1955 or later (20 frets) and the bridge and tuners are not original.

Agree.   

Yep, ES-125TD with changed tuners, bridge, added jack plate ( likely to cover a rip-out of the original), and the neck has been reset, judging by the two plugged holes on the back near the neck heel where they shot steam in to soften the glue. 

Look inside for another number inside, if you can see any. Models such as these didn’t typically have serial numbers on the back of the headstocks until around ‘62 or so, but you might find a factory order number inside. 

If you held a gun to my head I would date this as a 1960. Let’s see how close I am.