Gibson Brands Forums

How to tell the difference between tone and volume pots?

Hi Marco

They may be the same value and therefore interchangeable.  They should have some sort of code on the case somewhere; if both codes are the same, problem solved and you can use either one for tone or volume.

If the codes are different then go online and do a search for potentiometer codes;

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=potentiometer+codes

followed by the code itself.  Do this for both pots. 

Let us know the pot codes if you can't find out anything.  I'm sure someone here will be able to decipher them.

Forum members please correct me if my advice is wrong!

Edited by jdgm

10 hours ago, jdgm said:

Hi Marco

They may be the same value and therefore interchangeable.  They should have some sort of code on the case somewhere; if both codes are the same, problem solved and you can use either one for tone or volume.

If the codes are different then go online and do a search for potentiometer codes;

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=potentiometer+codes

followed by the code itself.  Do this for both pots. 

Let us know the pot codes if you can't find out anything.  I'm sure someone here will be able to decipher them.

Forum members please correct me if my advice is wrong!

Thanks so much mate your info has been very useful it could definitely be as you say  my luthier has  also confirmed t that .

Thanks again