Gibson Brands Forums

What type of Gibson is this?

JustCurious

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Cool!

Do a bit of google searching on vintage Gibson L-00 history before doing anything!

In good condition, these guitars are creeping towards $8 - $10K, so....

BluesKing777.

Granted, I have not been keeping up with what these L Series flattops are going for these days  but those are crazy high price tags.  When I snagged my '32 L1, which was only some 5 or 6 years back, top dollar for a 12 fretter was maybe $5K.  The more common 14 fretters could be had for less.  Looks like the best bargains out there in terms of an L Series Gibson might just be the 0 size round soundhole  archtops.  Then again, these lo-fi guitars are not going to be everybody's cup of tea so will be a harder sell.

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Granted, I have not been keeping up with what these L Series flattops are going for these days  but those are crazy high price tags.  When I snagged my '32 L1, which was only some 5 or 6 years back, top dollar for a 12 fretter was maybe $5K.  The more common 14 fretters could be had for less.  Looks like the best bargains out there in terms of an L Series Gibson might just be the 0 size round soundhole  archtops.  Then again, these lo-fi guitars are not going to be everybody's cup of tea so will be a harder sell.

Nope, the fingerpickers 😄 want a mid 30s L-00 in pristine condition! (think I saw one ...once.... but most are.....err...compromised?

That said....and a lotto win could clean out a few items I saw on Retrofret and Reverb and Carter?, I think it was. The first one I ever desired was a black one with firestripe......Retrofret has a black/firestripe from 1938 - were’t the necks getting slimmer by 38? Err....$8500! 🤨

Knew I should have bought a few more!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Thanks 1

Looks like only honest wear - but mostly just closeted old age:  No divots on the fingerboard where the cowboy chords go...  don't see any cracks... looks like original tuners... though #1 looks slightly bent... love the pick guard, no idea if it's original...  I'd bet this baby would clean up real well with just a little spit and polish and elbow grease.  Spend as much time finding a qualified luthier for vintage acoustic guitars as you do in determining it's value.  See if he wants to use a piece of scrap mahogany he has laying around to save you $100 from getting a very good match to the fingerboard wood, cut to match the footprint exactly, shaping it as the originals were.  There would be an 'as is value' which would have a wider range than the obviously higher value after you had authenticated repairs and restoration work.  You said it was your grandfathers -  provenance helps.  See if you can find a photo.   But, sentimental value has nothing to do with actual value - either can be higher or lower than the other.  If you decide to part with it, make sure you get top $, to avoid the temptation  of selling it for a few thousand to your girlfriends ex- to make her happy.   And he'll think it's just an old guitar that he can keep in his trunk.   Please let us know how it turns out for you.   G'Luck !