Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird bone saddle

the other side

I recently replaced my tusq saddle on my 2013 modern classic hummingbird with a Graph Tech tusq saddle (PQ-9400-CO). I reordered the same saddle to keep on hand. I noticed that particular saddle seemed a little scarce unless you ordered direct from graph tech and the time frame of weeks out to get. The other major suppliers were special ordered.

I visited Gibson's website to see what new birds specs were now. To my surprise, they are using bone saddles now with graph tech pins. I know in the past years the birds came with tusq nut and saddles. People would replace the new tusq saddle that came with the guitar with a bone saddle only to say they put the tusq back in because it sounded better with tusq. If that be the case, has gibson changed anything of why they are using bone now for nuts and saddles on the birds in particular? Or has there just been a shortage of tusq? I know they have been using tusq pins for a while, so that was no surprise to me. In all, why from tusq to bone  after all the years? 🤔

Unless you ask Bozeman - anything you'd get here would be pure speculation.   That said, my guess is that it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade cost-wise compared to the added marketing upcharge.   Probably same reason they went from plastic pins to tusk.  Their 'market research' told them prospective customers were put off by spending $2-3K for a guitar that had the same pins as a First Act.   As far as sound?  Volume, tone ?  Some think the difference is audible, some think it's snot. 

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Gibson changes things from time to time to keep from being boring.

They always have.

It also keeps people guessing.

Orville's legacy lives on!

You will never top the "floor sweep" guitars of the 1930s for keeping things interesting.  Given how suspicious folks seem to have become that what they just bought is not quite right it is a good thing there was no internet around back then.  

1 minute ago, zombywoof said:

You will never top the "floor sweep" guitars of the 1930s for keeping things interesting.  Given how suspicious folks seem to have become that what they just bought is not quite right it is a good thing there was no internet around back then.  

So true     

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Lol. 😀. But how much of a problem was there of fakes on the market back in the 1930's?

• Like 1

The tusq vs bone theme is a question with no scientific or final answer. It depends, so on what should Bozeman base their choices.                                                                                                                                                                      Much bigger issues - fx adjustable or conventional bridge/saddle-inserts are discussed. Some prefer white, some prefer dark bread, , , others actually dig both. .

I would like to hear my 2012 TV Bird with a nylon nut. 🤓 Just can't image how that little-big change would turn out. But I DO remember the nylon bein' the best or most real sounding material out of four for my 1963 J-45. That guitar btw. has a plastic bridge, , , and nope - it won't be switched as long as it stays here in the temple.                                                                                                                                                                                Picture the number of people in the international acoustic guitar society who would scorn me for that.😎

On 9/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, 62burst said:

I have never given nut, saddle and bridge pin material much thought.  I just leave whatever is there be until it needs to be replaced.  I figure with the nut once you finger a note anything behind it is taken out of play.  With bridge pins as long as they keep the strings from popping out and removing an eyeball I am fine with them.  I do believe though that the saddle has some impact on sound.  Best example I can come up with is my 1961 B45-12 with the ADJ saddle bridge.  This one came to me with its  original wood saddle.  Everybody kept telling me I needed to go with a bone saddle.  So bone it was.  I have now gone back to the wood saddle.  So like Murph I am willing to risk incurring the wrath of the self-appointed keepers of the laws of psychoacoustics.  But I like that wooden saddle enough that I snapped up another one when it came available on eBay just to have a spare handy.

Edited by zombywoof

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I have never given nut, saddle and bridge pin material much thought.  I just leave whatever is there be until it needs to be replaced.  I figure with the nut once you finger a note anything behind it is taken out of play.  

Yes, you may have a point - but when playing without capo the fingers constantly let go of the strings, on-off-on-off everywhere all the time.

The differences heard on the 63 45 - bone, plast, dark horn, nylon - was remarkable.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            So btw. was the sound/nature of my 2012 Bird with and without the fat flora-fauna guard. And I went back'n'forth for about a week. 

14 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

. . .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

So btw. was the sound/nature of my 2012 Bird with and without the fat flora-fauna guard. And I went back'n'forth for about a week. 

So did you end up going sans 'guard, or en garde?   ( It is so much a part of the Hummingbird's identity)

I do think saddle choice will differ depending on whether you are talking about a guitar with an ADJ or fixed saddle bridge.  On the B45-12 a wood saddle suspended by two screws seems to do everything for a flattop  it does for a good archtop.  On the other hand, my 1956 Epi FT-79 also came with its original wood saddle.  In this case I did replace it with a bone saddle which I prefer.

As to pickguards I just like the way they look.  Over the decades I have acquired two guitars which were minus their pickguards which I added and another where I had one of two pickguards removed.  I never heard any noticeable difference.