Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Banner - Auction Find

samthelima

In a completely unexpected turn of events, I found (and purchased) this J-45 Banner at an auction this weekend. It is in good, but well used, condition, but with a partially detached bridge (currently being sensitively repaired by a local luthier to make it playable). The exact model and year wasn't advertised at the auction (no other guitars were present either), and the broken bridge kept the price down, so I was very fortunate. It has a mahogany top, back, and sides, and may be a 1944, based on the stamped batch number on the neck block. It doesn't have any previous repairs, and the tuning machines are original (though I'm not sure about the plastic knobs and the plastic strap button (see photo)). I plan to enjoy playing it for a while, and perhaps eventually sell it!

PXL_20220924_194252164.jpg

PXL_20220924_200051773.jpg

PXL_20220924_200122824.jpg

PXL_20220924_200219983.jpg

PXL_20220924_200236115.jpg

PXL_20220924_200246174.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cool & Congrats.  There is just something special about a Banner that no other J45 ever built can capture.  And your J45 is in a whole lot better shape than my 1942 J50 was when I first stumbled across it. 

Your guitar though would have initially stumped me.  Without looking at the FON, based on the seven-ply rosette I would have guessed it was built no later than early-1943.  But while I have seen other guitars which sported those riveted Kluson tuners dating to later in 1942, I have never run across them on a Gibson which had left the factory before 1944.   If the FON dates the guitar to 1944, I would wonder if Gibson re-purposed an older top.  Anyway, there are others here who know a whole lot more about Banners than I do so hopefully they will chime in.

Edited by zombywoof

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Cool & Congrats.  There is just something special about a Banner that no other J45 ever built can capture.  And your J45 is in a whole lot better shape than my 1942 J50 was when I first stumbled across it. 

Your guitar though would have initially stumped me.  Without looking at the FON, based on the seven-ply rosette I would have guessed it was built no later than early-1943.  But the riveted tuners without the manufactuer's stamp make me think more of a guitar which left the factory in 1944.   If the FON dates the guitar to 1944, I would wonder if Gibson re-purposed an older top.  Anyway, there are others here who know a whole lot more about Banners than I do so hopefully they will chime in.

I sold a hog banner about 8 years ago.   Mine was almost but not as nice looking as the ops,

Very nice. Looks like it was toted around more than it was played, the exception being the fretboard divots. Unless there is some paper trail in the ledgers or some info from the original owner, even the experts would probably describe it as a '43/'44. Lots of mahogany-topped guitars in that era, and the way the top loads up under a heavy hand can reward the player engaging in some serious chord chunking. Hopefully yours is playable even with that mild bridge lift.  Does it have a 3-piece neck? Hard to see from the photos if there is a walnut stripe going up the back of the neck (?).ps- what 'Woof was saying about the tuners makes sense- somewhere early '43?

Congrats.

• Like 1

That's definitely a home run for scoring a mid 40s Gibson

Once she's restored to your liking you maybe never let it go   Often times,  there is magic in that old wood.  Let us know how the restoration goes

One thing for sure, you will not suffer the "first dent" blues with that one!

Edited by kidblast