Gibson Brands Forums

New Faded Series Standard, SG and Acoustics

Rabs

I had a 90's or 00's Faded SG, but it wasn't 2k. I think they were going for $800 or so at the time. It also had no whammy bar.

They just can't make a video without the "I" word can they? Did anyone spot the Mesa Boogie amp?

A faded natural top on 2 acoustics. Huh? Is it just a matte finish and not gloss? How do you fade a natural top?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I really like the non shiny finish..  If I were in the market for a new guitar I could really go for one of the 60s standards..  

Luckily for me I have more than enough guitars that fill all my wants and needs....  My 60s Tribute Studio fulfils my faded finish want...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I had a yellow Faded Les Paul double cut w/ P90s and a yellow Faded SG Special, each were around $400 used, I think list was $650.

No binding, no frills but they were good guitars and they were affordable.

I'm sure they sold a ton of them.

I got mine used too. I might have paid $350 for it stripped from Stratosphere on  Flea Bay. Just the body and neck and I built it from there. I had an Angus pup in the bridge and Iommi pup in the neck. Great guitars. Those were the days. Here is a pic of the little bugger. It was not finished at the time of the pic.

bw1dmG6.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Rabs changed the title to New Faded Series Standard, SG and Acoustics

The big retailers, here in Europe, have the normal LP Standards and other Gibsons "IN STOCK". Because they were ordered from Gibson & paid-for when the EUR/USD exchange rate was still high and the dollar was low, they are now actually cheaper than the new Faded series guitars. I checked yesterday, all of them are "IN STOCK" . For example, at Thomann, the normal 61 SG Standard with the Maestro vibrola goes for €1999, while the new Faded one is €2199.

Not complaining, just laughing. Incessant government intervention in economic affairs produces spectacular results, including FREE fireworks. How's that for the European version of "The Broken Window Fallacy"? 😁

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had a 90's or 00's Faded SG, but it wasn't 2k. I think they were going for $800 or so at the time. It also had no whammy bar.

They just can't make a video without the "I" word can they? Did anyone spot the Mesa Boogie amp?

A faded natural top on 2 acoustics. Huh? Is it just a matte finish and not gloss? How do you fade a natural top?

I thought the faded on the natueal top acoustics refers to the side and back whereas the sonburst versions includes the top.  Maybe I am wrong but I know the sides and back do not look like a regular J45 they look faded.

I don't play electrics much anymore, but I didn't care for the faded Cherry LP, it looks a little pink on the videos I've seen.

I like the look of the acoustics a lot.  The lighter tan look of the back and sides of the Hummingbird appeals to me, as does the top of the J-45.  The guys at Music Villa did a video and they thought that because there was less finish the guitars sounded "woodier" than full finish nitro.  Also, with less finish and buffing they are a little cheaper than the standard finish models.  So, I'd have to say it's a step in the right direction on the acoustic side, looks great, sounds great, and is less expensive!