Gibson Brands Forums

How to apply Naptha (lighter fluid)?

Twang Gang

I've got a Gibson with a nitro finish that has a sticky neck and it's been that way for a couple years.  I've polished and cleaned it many times but it remains sticky so I want to try the lighter fluid trick on it, but I've never used it before.  Wondering how to apply it?  Cotton swab, microfiber cloth, cu-tips?  Do you wipe if off after or just let it evaporate?

A few tips from those that have done it would be appreciated. 

I would think naptha is chemical based. It may bite into the clear then you will have a mess.     Try baby powder on the hands first or alittle bit of vasoline on the hands first.   Sometimes acid in the hands can create a chemical reaction to finishes.           

I've used pure naptha to remove pickguard glue, ragging it on as above, but some scuz isn't affected by it.  I've had success with Mr, Clean Magic Eraser, though, for sticky necks, using it as instructed with warm water.  Then a wipe with warm water dampened cotton rag.

Lighter fluid on a cloth won't hurt the neck finish,  Just use a little bit on the cloth and buff it dry, it'll evaporate pretty fast.

I've had two Firebird VIIs and both had sticky necks.  The one I currently have took some polishing with Mother's Carnauba Wax (twice) and then just buffing it with a clean cloth after every time I played it.  It took quite a while but it's finally slippery like it should be.  Gibson recommends their pump polish but you'll still have to keep wiping the neck down until it finally cooperates.

My guess is they put on too much paint and the underlying coats didn't have a chance to evaporate sufficiently before they gave it another pass with the gun.

Use a brand new or extremely clean rag and apply the naphtha or cleaning agent to the rag and then apply the rag to the guitar 

Any little particles that are stuck to an old rag are likely to make a bunch of scratches on your gloss finish so be sure to use a very clean rag. I don’t clean my guitars often so I use a brand new cloth every time