Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Gibson real or a fake? Help

Talibah

Hi . I would be grateful for some help to identify this guitar, bought a sample display, needs some work. Has a great sound so bought it. On closer inspection I thought it could be a real Gibson. What do you think? without a serial number or sticker and a replaced sound post cover. Thanks Talibah 

20221006_092706.jpg

20221006_093102.jpg

20221006_093000.jpg

20221006_092839.jpg

20221006_092720.jpg

I am not up enough on Bozeman-made guitars to make any kind of a call as to whether it is a real deal guitar or a fake.  I cannot tell from the photo whether there is an orange label in there but if not, you should see a big red flag waving.   But I do recall a run or runs of the J200 Parlor (which I cannot tell if this is or not) with what I think were called Paua Shell or something inlays which look a whole lot like those on this guitar.   So, you might get busy and do some looking and check out the features such as  pickguards, headstock veneer (or lack thereof), whether the guitar comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, and such.

Edited by zombywoof

@Zombywoof. Checked out the J200, the headstock logo resembles mine. which helps. If this is a fake it is a really good one. I know that some Gibson's did not have the label inside, or serial numbers. Would be good to know for sure. Thanks.. 

Not sure where you heard or read "some" Gibsons did not have a serial number.  That might be true if the guitar was built in the period from mid-1945 through 1947 but this ain't one of those.  No FON or serial number means not a Gibson.  That should have been your first tip off the guitar was inky.  

@gearbasher.. 🤣🤣🤣 Right..I took it down played it, liked the sound then  bartered for a discount because of the missing peg. Noticed it said Gibson and not Givson like their others. Didnt think it was real, but the feel and the sound was great, so thought Id get some feed back, in case one slipped through somehow to this wholesale shop abroad. Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

@zombywoofNo..I wouldn't sell it..Ive been looking for a guitar abroad, It's hard to travel with one. Plus I'm not a collector or a professional guitarist. This is good enough for me thanks..Plus I'm not into dodgy transactions..It just happened to be the best sounding guitar in the shop..💓