Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of going with Locking tuners.

Gonzowerke

Hey All,

I hate the stringlock on my Explorer, and the way it crimps strings. So I want to go with Some locking tuners, as I have read that is the way to go. Anyone here using them? With a trem? What are your experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Gonzo

locking tuners and locking nut are two different things. locking tuners are for quick string changes the strings lock in the tuner so you don't have to wrap around the peg. locking nut is for your kahler tremolo, to keep the string locked so the guitar doesn't go out of tune.

• 3 weeks later...

If you must get locking tuners, I suggest Sperzels vs Schallers. Not that there is anything really wrong with Schallers, it's just that the part you twist to lock the string can come all the way off if you unscrew it all the way and can be lost. I have seen many used guitars with Schallers and usually missing one of those pieces and then you have just a regular tuner. The Sperzels do not have this problem. I have 1 guitar with Schallers and have never lost that locking piece (knock on wood). I will not replace them as I wish to keep this guitar all original so it keeps appreciating. I have 2 guitars with Sperzels. An LP copy that I pretty much replaced everything to bring it back to life. I replaced the Grovers that came on my Gibson Explorer to help with tuning stability and it worked. In conclusion, get Sperzels.

Archived