Gibson Brands Forums

Pearl Jam

kantplayyet

I truly believe that PJ is one of the best bands making music today. The guitar combo of McCready/Gossard is easily as potent as other great combos: Slash/Stradlin'; Richards/Taylor or Wood; Young/Young...the list does go on, but those two guys are right up there with the best. I've seen them twice in concert, and they always put on a great, heartfelt show. The guitar solo that McCready took during "Evenflow" was nothing short of spectacular. I don't think we've had a vocalist of the same ilk since Morrison kicked it in the bathtub.

'

I think grunge is kind of a bullsh*t term. A lot of it is good' date=' straightforward rock and roll. We could use a little "grunge" among all the crap that is out there now...[/quote']

Kinda like most of the other catch all terms. Most good music defies those labels.

I like Pearl Jam but can't say I'm a big fan. I have "Ten" and "Vs" and "Vitalogy" and bought them all when they each came out but the only one I ever really liked was "Ten" and the others I just didn't like much that I heard from them after that first album. They're good musicians but their songs weren't doing it for me anymore.

I really got burnt out pretty quick on that whole "alternative"/grunge/Seattle thing anyway; all the fun got sucked out of rock and roll and bands thought they were too cool to put on any sort of show or even play guitar solos anymore. When I go to a concert, I want to see something going on and not just a bunch of guys up there dressed like I am. Okay, PJ were running around and Vedder camera boom dived but there's no stage set whatsoever and they look like they could have been just a bunch of guys grabbed from the crowd. Maybe I'm too spoiled by bands from the 70's and 80's who would have cool productions in place when they toured but I never warmed up to the whole "It's all about the music, man" attitude - if it were just about the music, I would have stayed home to listen to the album and PJ wouldn't have been running around and diving off the stage.

The sad part about that period in time is that bands who used to put on elaborate shows went with the flow and turned it down; I saw Motley Crue and Cheap Trick back then and they had a huge backdrop with some images and movies flashing up on it - no fire, no flying, rotating drum set, no flashy costums, just the band. WTF? They're freakin' Motley Crue and I expect a helluva lot more for my money than that! Thank goodness bands are starting to put on exciting shows again and Crue did not disappoint whatsoever when I saw them last summer - they're back with a stage set, fire, sparks and a "tittie cam."

That is exactlywhat I did like about Pearl Jam. For me, Pearl Jam always was - and is - about the music. They didn't need all the explosions, make-up, crazy antics. It was about playing solidly for a couple of hours and letting fans revel in the experience. Not to be cliche, but they let the music do the talking.

Back in their prime, Guns 'n Roses was the same way: unlike Kiss, Poison, and other bands heavy on the "presentation" piece of the show, they just played solid rock and roll. Metallica would fit that bill as well.

With the exception of Kiss - who I think it severely overrated - bands heavy on packaging and not product have fallen to the wayside...

That is exactlywhat I did like about Pearl Jam. For me' date=' Pearl Jam always was - and is - about the music. They didn't need all the explosions, make-up, crazy antics. It was about playing solidly for a couple of hours and letting fans revel in the experience. Not to be cliche, but they let the music do the talking.

Back in their prime, Guns 'n Roses was the same way: unlike Kiss, Poison, and other bands heavy on the "presentation" piece of the show, they just played solid rock and roll. Metallica would fit that bill as well.

With the exception of Kiss - who I think it severely overrated - bands heavy on packaging and not product have fallen to the wayside...[/quote']

Gun 'N' Roses was not like that back in their prime, they teased the hell out of their hair just like everyone else in 1987. I saw them play in NYC back then before the broke big and there was plenty of Aquanet and leather pants present.

Metallica puts on a show as well; the last time I saw them they had a whole routine where some "roadie" climbed up the lighting rig, falls to the stage, sparks and fire fly around, the band stops then returns to the stage when it's "safe" but now with regular lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. It was corny, but it was fun.

Even Pearl Jam puts on a bit of a show whether they'd like to admit it or not. I have never felt the urge to slide across the stage on my knees, however, I do own some favorite shirts that are faded and a bit ratty that are perfect for going for that Pearl Jam look.

I hear where you're coming from but, for me, the show is a part of the whole rock and roll concert experience.

GunsnRoses4.jpg

I hear where you're coming from but' date=' for me, the show is a part of the whole rock and roll concert experience. [/quote']

+1

Let me add that Pink Floyd is a band that doesn't dress up (like kiss and others), but man what a show! For them the focus is always BOTH the music and the show.

Archived