Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 Availability

SRO114

12 hours ago, Jalex said:

A thing of beauty, inspite of the difference in shades in  the book matched face.  Could be how the light hits it.   The fact it is unique, in some folks eyes, will add  to its attractiveness. When the spruce takes on an aged yellowing, and is darker than the maple sides - that difference will be less noticeable and the whole effect even more beautiful.   Like they say - wood is a natural product and will have differences.  Even when you split a piece - one side can be different than the other.   Interesting it is listed at Gibsons MSRP - $5,299.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 9:31 AM, fortyearspickn said:

A thing of beauty, inspite of the difference in shades in  the book matched face.  Could be how the light hits it.   The fact it is unique, in some folks eyes, will add  to its attractiveness.  

I guess some folks won't mind but I try to avoid runout. Especially on a guitar that expensive. Its getting harder to find good woods so stuff that would have gotten passed over 40 years ago gets used nowadays. I guess that's why Martin is starting to replace sitka with Lutz. And the sitka will get used on custom shop guitars (hopefully its the good stuff and not grain with runout).

Whenever you buy a product made of leather -  from a guitar strap to a couch - they always have a tag on them  stating  'Leather is a natural product and will have blemishes, dis-colorations, etc. These are not imperfections."   We have all come to accept that, some of us to the point where we believe  "They add to the natural beauty and uniqueness of the leather." 

I think, as we start to run out of wood (pun intended)  and more minions want guitars -  we are all going to have to accept bear claws, run out and variegation.   Or, as RBSinTo suggested in the thread on Martin cutting back on Spruce (pun intended) - we'll all be playing carbon guitars.   

Welcome to the New Normal.    The 21st century came in like a lion and will go out like a lamb.

I have never paid a whole lot of attention to what lumber a guitar is built with.  About the only thing that will grab my attention is say the fact that Harmonys were built with one-piece mahogany backs.  It always got me wondering as to the size of the tree which supplied that back for one of their dreads.

When it comes to spruce tops though I believe it was John Greven who once said "spruce is spruce, get over it."  While he acknowledged different species differed structurally it was only a little bit and that in the end it was more about the knowledge and skill of the builder.  But I also admit that flaws and quirks in the wood or even in the build (such as my '42 J50) tend to endear a guitar to me.