Gibson Brands Forums

A Zappa Release I Could Not Care Less About

Sgt. Pepper

https://www.zappa.com/news/frank-zappas-famed-electric-orchestra-celebrated-wakawazoo-box-set-available-december-16th

Never cared for Waka/Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo albums. I know some Zappa fans like them.  I would probably listen to the out takes once and never again. I'm listening to the live concert that just came out form Yugoslavia. The sound is not that great. It's from 2 different shows and the best version was taken. It's all the songs he played at both shows he did there. I doubt I will get this either.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I thank you for this, Sgt. Pepper. 

I have never been a huge Frank Zappa fan throughout my lifetime, but I must confess that your postings about him over the years have propelled my interest in the man and his music. 
I gave a listen yesterday evening to The Grand Wazoo, and I enjoyed it a lot. 

Some bands and some music sound very much dated (when you dig around and give a listen to old tracks from the early 1970's), and give them a listen for the very first time. 
Not so with FZ. 

It's always interesting, jazzy, oddly off-kilter, and fresh. 
🙂

I got my original vinyl of both. At least it looks like they are getting back to doing albums again instead of just live shows. Steve Ford said he saw it was coming out on vinyl and CD. I don't see it mentioned anywhere its coming out on vinyl. Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo are going to have a 5.1 SS mix on the DVD. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Great response.

I recall a Spanish theme in there somewhere. 

It's interesting - to me - to hear Aynsley Dunbar on drums and Alex Dmochowski  ("Erroneous")  on bass - half of Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation.

Also played "Zoot Allures" today.

[cool]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And certainly no surprise to find Aynsley  on a Frank Zappa LP.   I mean, why not?

He's been on just about everybody else's .  [wink]

Whitefang

Then he went on to be in the original incarnation of the San Francisco band Journey. He was on the first album through Infinity (the first four albums). Next was a good album if you have never heard it. They guy from Santana's band Gregg Rollie takes all the vocals as Steve Perry is not yet the singer in the band and joined on Infinity. I think Steve didn't like him and I think they gave him they python boot to the backside.

Ansley is on Chunga's Revenge, Fillmore East 1971, 200 Motels, Just Another Band From LA, Waka/Jawaka, and The Grand Wazoo. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

My vinyl copies of The Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka/Hot Rats have shipped.

Merry Christmas to me!

Colored vinyl or trad black? I put the CD set on my Xmas, but no one will probably buy it for me. I have my originals still on vinyl. If I don’t get it no biggie.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Just black, I don't need to pay extra to see a green piece of plastic go around in a circle.

Good choice. When I buy new vinyl now if it’s the same price I go colored. I think my reissue of Hot Rats is in pink vinyl.

• Haha 1

I just looked and the colored ones also come with a lithograph. So for an extra $20, you get that, and  colored vinyl. What deal. Its probably a lithograph of the album cover, which already is on the front of the album. Maybe its suitable for framing? Black is a color right, or is it the absence of color?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper