Gibson Brands Forums

white les paul studio, hairline crack at the seam of the neck joint

cliftonclyde

Hey,

I'm new on this forum. I was about to open a new post regarding this. I just bought my first Gibson guitar (2009 White Flying V) and when I bought it, the store gave me a discount for it (5%.., not bad) because the joint (neck-body) had a crack in the form of a line around it, exactly where the body and neck joint. I was wondering if this is normal, as I see some other guitars with this same problem, but I was wondering if that line-crack means the neck is warped or bending, or if the problem is with the paint only.

Any help will be very helpful as I was thinking on going with a tech to check on this matter and I don't wan't him to make a move and get some money out of me just because I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

It's normal... cracked nitro at joints. All my Gibby's have it, except for the newer ones; they will eventually get it too. Could be the expansion/contraction of the wood. Another 30 plus years you might see nitro cracks all over! Then, it's vintage mojo and people might pay $40k then for an oldie. [thumbup]

Looks more like a finish crack than anything serious. You said this happened on another guitar you own. You don't do stupid stuff like bend the neck to get some wierd asinine vibrato?

When I first got my LP and a friend was checking it out he did that and I told him not to do that if he wants to continue playing it. He owns an older LP Custom that is all screwd up. Most likely because he did stupit sh it like that.

.... the store gave me a discount for it (5%.., not bad) because the joint (neck-body) had a crack in the form of a line around it, exactly where the body and neck joint. I was wondering if this is normal, as I see some other guitars with this same problem, but I was wondering if that line-crack means the neck is warped or bending, or if the problem is with the paint only. ...I don't know if this is normal.

Welcome.

This always cracks me up - never fails when you bump an old thread - answers get mixed to the original post - in this case three years old from April 2009 by a member that made 8 posts, all in 2009, who hasn't be active since.

@Inside The Grave - If the joint feels solid and stable, there's no problem. As had been commented to the OP of this thread, it's normal for nitro finishes to crack at some seams, especially at set neck joints. And as Kaicho8888 commented, the older the nitro finish is the more cracking and checking you're likely to see.

Archived