Gibson Brands Forums

chip in sunburst finish custom

Junior Jr III

I recently got a LP Custom that has a chip in the finish right at the arm 'rest' spot.  Down to the bare wood. It isn't flaking off at the moment but I would like to prevent it from getting worse in the future. What is  the best way to do that? I don't want to refinish it just keep status quo. There is a small chip just near the binding too. I've though about touching up with lacquer but I don't want to create a bigger problem. It's a 1985, if that means anything regarding the finish. 

G LP CUSTOM CLOSEUP.png

A luthier should be able to apply just a little nitro to it. I would get it fixed too - I don't know if it'll get "worse", but it's a legitimate concern, I think. 

Haven't seen pics of the chip on the neck, but sounds like less of a thing. But you could probably get that fixed at the same time. 

With nitro, I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself and I don't think it'll set you back much (or am I wrong?) 

Edited by Pinch

Yea, real roadworn! 

I have a friend who spends a lot of time actually sanding and whittling on his acoustic to get that Willie Nelson look. Unfortunately, he doesn't spend much time practicing so there will be no mistaken identity there.  🤪 It's a 70's Martin D45 that was very nice once upon a time. I've stopped trying to buy it from him.  Close to worthless now. 

51 minutes ago, Junior Jr III said:

Yea, real roadworn! 

I have a friend who spends a lot of time actually sanding and whittling on his acoustic to get that Willie Nelson look. Unfortunately, he doesn't spend much time practicing so there will be no mistaken identity there.  🤪 It's a 70's Martin D45 that was very nice once upon a time. I've stopped trying to buy it from him.  Close to worthless now. 

I cried a little at D-45 and sanding on it. Your friend needs to go strait to guitar jail.